Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pregnant cory

Hey I was wondering if my Cory catfish Is pregnant and can't find any good reference pictures or anything. I know they go to the surface and grab air and it makes them bulge but I've been keeping my eye on her and she isn't getting skinnier. Also she's been very active in the tank like a "spaz". If she is how long are they usually pregnant and what food should I give the fry. Also refrence pictures would help alot.

Name:   image-2051844368.jpg
Views: 4617
Size:  42.9 KB

This so the type of Cory I have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2428280722.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	149632

This is the best picture I could get cuz I have a planted tank with alot of places they can hide and it's hard to get a good one.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

it dosent sould like your cory is pregnant, but rather your tank dosent have enough oxygen. if you have a bubbler i would add it to the tank. have you noticed any other cories doing this?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so let's start from the beginning, Cories are eggs layers so they don't get pregnant. Females will be larger than the males which can easily be seen from above rather than the side, the females bottom fins will also be a bit more rounder than males which helps them collect the eggs during their odd spawning behavior. As far as the swimming to the top goes, my Cories have done this since I've got them and I've heard of them doing this with others so one would suspect that this can be normal behavior for them. If there are no visible/physical sign of sickness I wouldn't worry but if it eases your mind about it do as Bubbles suggested and throw a bubbler in the tank.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as your water is good and your Corie looks healthy it could be normal behavior.
How many Cories do you have ???
They prefer groups.

Looks like you have Corydoras trilineatus.
Check Planet Catfish for more pics to compare.
There are several similar species. Often sold as C. julii by mistake.

I have natural planted tanks, so I hate bubble stones, but whatever you like.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah I recently got new gravel some Java moss and another type of plant. Also one of those moss balls from petco. It's just a matter of time until the tank is fully jungled. Yeah I have a male
And female of that breed of Cory. I plan on getting 2 more but I don't want to overdue it. They seem happy and healthy for the time being, very active fish

Tags
cory, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com