Pregnant danio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a purple passion that looks to be prego is it?

image-1623979445.jpg

image-3844058983.jpg

image-467886290.jpg

Couldn't this mean she is carrying eggs? Because the male eats just as much and is a lot skinnier

I dont think egg layers swell up like that, but I could be wrong. Might have better luck moving this over to the "Breeding" section.

But what I was suggesting was that perhaps that particular fish is, shall we say.... blocked up. Give her a day or two with no food and see if she goes back to normal.
Are the scales raised up or staying flat? Raised up means Bloat.

As previously stated, since Danios are egg scatterers, they are not capable of being pregnant. They are called "gravid" when holding eggs. So yes, your fish is most likely gravid. As long as you are feeding a good balanced diet and you see the fish deficating (proper word for POOPING lol) it is not "blocked " and/or bloated.

The good news is that fish like this can be gravid their entire adult life with no consequences so unless you are trying to breed them, don't worry about it. At some point down the road, the fish will reabsorb the eggs and benefit from the nutritional aspect of eggs.

Hope this helps

Woke up this morning and she is almost back to normal flatness. But in my 55gal I can't find the scattered eggs

Woke up this morning and she is almost back to normal flatness. But in my 55gal I can't find the scattered eggs

In all likelihood the eggs may have been eaten by danios or other inhabitants. My danios do a decent job of scouring the substrate and doing "moss dives" while looking for eggs.

Ya too bad I would have put her in a breeder tank but people told me she was just bloated

I have three danios two females and one male and the females do get fat when they have eggs but they will usually eat their egg

I would have brought the male with her

The best way I know to breed Danios requires a spare tank. If you are really interested in breeding these fish, PM me in June ( when I return to my home computer) and I will send you a proven plan for breeding Danios where you actually get fry. Be prepared, it takes work to raise the fry. :brows:

I need help on this issue because it happened in my tank I have a thread about I with pics and info it's really insane and I need help thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom