Pregnant Fish and Tank Size Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How large is your tank

• 5 Gallons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 Gallons

• 20 Gallons

• 30 Gallons

• 40 or more gallons

• Total voters

Techboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
How Do I know if one of my fish is pregnant And How Long Are their pregnant? :twisted:

edited 11:01 am 08/24/2003 justDIY - updated topic subject to reflect poll question

What sort of fish is it?

A good hint on if they are pregnant [and if they don't eat too much] is if they get relly plump. :)

Usuming when you mean pregnant your talking about livebeares if not they arrent technically pregnant. You can normally tell because they get fat. You can also see the eggs/young behind the stumick. Their normally black but they can also be blue.

if there cichlids then they will be more aggressive then usual, and chaseing out all intruded from there territory more viciously.

pregnant??

:?: ok i have a fish that is about...hmm say 15 weeks old. Can it be pregnant then :?: :? these that i have in my tank right now...i have "raised" from birth..their mother died after that. But the thing is is that the one that is pregnant is really fat and eats ALOT! and the twin to it is like a comparison between a yorkie dog and a full grown english sprinker spaniel. please help!

they are i dont knw what they are...they are white fish...

Hmm.... well you aren't going to get a lot of cognitive help till you can tell us what kind of fish they are. "white fish" is not enough to go on.

I am moving this to the general freshwater forum, perhaps more responses will help get to the bottom of this! :D

White Fish? Does it look something like the whitefish in this pic? If so... it is a molly. My Molly mom died right after she had her babies too. Here is a pic of the babies at day 6. Do they look like this?

omg! they are white mollyes! but as babies they were brown not black! your pictures were most helpful..im o only 14..i don't always know the type of fish i have. I'm sorry

LOL Only 14? Thats not young at all when it comes to taking care of fish :)

Cool, so now you know what sort of fish you have. Depending on what sort of molly they are, they could be sexually mature anywhere from 4 months on (longer periods seem to be for the sailfin mollies). Your mollies are on the edge of that 4 month time frame, so its possible they actually have bred.

Btw, do you have a handle on the nitrogen cycle n water parameters n all that? If not, let us know :)

What is a nityogen cycle in water parameters? obviously that i dont know what it is then i dont...i do have a filter...if that is what you mean. im young..i have only had fish for about a year...i just font realy have time to sit there and studdy them, yes i love my fish but... I DO go to school half of the day. :p :dope: its not that i dont enjoy them...i just have alot of other things to do...(yes, i feed them 2 times a day)

You don't have to devote all that much time to them, just learn about the nitrogen cycle and once you do that, you will understand what is taking place in the tank and be able to prevent problems. I am sure you know someone or heard of someone who tried and tried to keep a fish tank and finally just gave up and sold the thing at a yard sale. A little studying up will save yourself a lot of difficulty.

Read some of the articles posted here on AA about the nitrogen cycle, and here is a link to another article on the subject. http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Believe me, just a little bit of research will make your experience so much more enjoyable, but you must know that already because you came here for advice! :D There will always be someone helpful to answer any questions you have along the way, no matter how small.

well we never answerd my 1st question....is my fish pregnant?

We can't tell you for sure.

As I mentioned previously, its possible they may have bred. They may also be ill, and poor water parameters can cause something cause dropsy, where the fish bloat up (is why we asked about water parameters and the cycle; as mentioned in the article TankGirl posted for ya, the cycle is the accumulation of nitrifying bacteria, which rid the tank of deadly ammonia and nitrites). They could also be constipated, which can make em look preg. Can you get us a picture? That might help.

:D thank you. but when it was/still preg. it had a string of poop...i dont think that it is constipated.

Actually, long strings of poo ARE a sign of constipation. Strange isn't it? If it does it once in a while, not a prob, but if the fish is always dragging poo behind it, it may be constipated.

:? im confused...sry..it doesnt take much..ummm...last time that i saw that it had a string off poop behind it ...was when he was about...hmm..12 weeks old. how much do fish poo? that might seem a stupid question...but i want to know. someone had asked for pictures...my mother said that i cannot give them out...sry

Maybe your mom misunderstood you. Maybe she thought you were going to post pictures of yourself. Did you explain that you wanted to post pictures of 'just' the fish, so we could help you with your fishies. Ask her again. :wink: Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom