Pregnant fishies...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Soo i have 2 or 3 mollies pregnant the dalmatian is huge and it hasn't had any fry the yellow one is not that big and it already had one fry.. Its been about 4 days now probably more becuase its bigger than the first one we saw soo it was prob hiding somewhere and its the same one..and she hasn't had more.. Is this normal?? How long do they last in gestation.. Any suggestions

the birthing process of a molly is only 1-5hrs long (in my experience)
chances are, that she gave birth when you weren't around, and most of them were eaten.
my mollies give birth every 4-6weeks, so stay aware.
sounds like your dalmation either has a ton of babies, or a good batch of very developed ones.
either way, best of luck to you :)

irb said:
Soo i have 2 or 3 mollies pregnant the dalmatian is huge and it hasn't had any fry the yellow one is not that big and it already had one fry.. Its been about 4 days now probably more becuase its bigger than the first one we saw soo it was prob hiding somewhere and its the same one..and she hasn't had more.. Is this normal?? How long do they last in gestation.. Any suggestions

If its been 4 days she is done. They may have been eaten but hopefully they are hiding in the tank!

Ive been attent most of the time with them and she hasent had more i see her stomach and still big and i can see i guess the fries eye inside her because she is clear yellow.. Is their certain things i need to do so they can be in a confortable env example temp food etc

Could you post some pics of the females? And the fry? I'd love to help but pics work better

There u goo!!

Attachments

• image-1470919252.jpg
    image-1470919252.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3559065736.jpg
    image-3559065736.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image-2767027326.jpg
    image-2767027326.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 74
Ok first female I say next week
2nd one looks like any day
Lower one in third pic looks any day and upper looks like a few days
( probably same fish lol)

Yes lol but same prediction so np.. I will patiently wait thanx bubbles

No problem . Is this your first with livebearers? If so see the thread in my signature ( link) it has all sorts of stuff like breeding, when she's gonna pop, raising fry, and sexing fry!

the golden one is a twin bar platy... don't know if that's a mistake that you made identifying her or if she is just in the picture.
in my experiences, platies drop more babies and more often, but they are about half the size of mollies at birth, and most of them dive for the rocks.
naturally, mollies tend to hang out dirrectly under the light, and when they are born, this instinct is already in-tact.
in other words, your baby mollies are really easy targets.
i would recommend that you get some floating plants for them to hide in, then when you find them, seperate them from the tank (breeder net/trap, or another small tank)
do not put them back into the community until they are at least 3/4 cm.

best of luck! :)

Thanx dj it is prob a platy but it was the stores fault:(.... I was out fir the wknd and thegolden one isint pregant anymore i guess she had them already but i cant find them what should i do.. Do u think they are hanging down there i cant find them...

They are good at hiding and I mean good at hiding. I've turned the lights off for a few hours before and turned em back on and have had little eyes staring at me

Chronos313 said:
They are good at hiding and I mean good at hiding. I've turned the lights off for a few hours before and turned em back on and have had little eyes staring at me

I noticed with the 1 st one hope there still hangin in there thnx

always check around the base of the decorations. i pick my decorations up very quickly so that if there are any hiders under there, they get picked up with the newly created current. they dive right back down into the gravel, but at least you'll know if you have any in there. also, they hide in the gravel all over the tank. take your net and aggitate the gravel all over. (i call this hunting) when your other fish realize that you are hunting, they will also begin to hunt. pay attention to them, because sometimes they trap a few fry in the gravel, and you must act fast in order to save the fry. Chronos313 makes a very good point, and i actually prefer to begin hunting as soon as i turn the lights on. (the fish are temperarely blinded when the light is turned on, but only for a few minutes)

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom