Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pregnant Fishies

Well I have 4 Pregnant fish but I have no clue how far along they are need help
Here is the lineup
2 Pregnant Creamsicle Mollies
1 Pregnant Platy (Not Sure the kind)
1 Pregnant Black Molly
And Not sure of the breed of my algae eater but I have 1.
Oh and 1 non pregnant Black Molly
Please help pictures showing them just took them now so if someone could tell me how far along they are? It would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130831_212813.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	195686   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130831_212855.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	195687  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130831_213115.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	195688  

Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's really hard to tell how far along fish are they usually are pregnant for 3-4 weeks. You'll be able to tell when they are about to give birth then their bellies start to square off and around their butt you'll be able to see dark spots which are the babies eyes, when she is in labour you'll be able to see a white spot near her bottom usually takes 24-48 hours for them to drop all of the fry. They could have 20-50 fry in one batch if it's their first it'll usually be less than that.

>edit your fish don't look to far along but again its hard to tell

Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New problem arrived after just putting them in the breeder so they could get used to it
They didn't give birth they just pooped
They will only go to the bathroom inside of the breeder tank once put in the normal tank they eat get fat and again only poop when in the breeder tank
I have now stopped putting them in the breeder tank and waiting to see if
A: they poop
B: they explode
Old 09-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you have lots of plants for the fry to hide in you don't have to worry about putting them in the breeding tank. You could also stress out your fish so much that they miscarry, I would only recommend putting them in there when you see the small white opening near their anal fin if you really want to separate them. They could also be constipated lol you can get a can of peas rinse them off and deshell them usually I just squeeze them right into the tank not dropping the shell in and only feed them that for two days usually helps them poop better. I have my platy separated right now only because she's in labour and I missed the drop of her first fry and want to try keeping some. She seems stressed right now and hasn't dropped any in a few hours so I hope by tomorrow afternoon she will have some and if not then she's going back into the main tank and I hope for the best for the fry she has.

>edit doesn't just have to be plants if you have a lot of hiding spots like rocks or a house that works too
Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alternately, if you really wish you could keep them separate, just siphon the poop out of the brood tank. It's not that hard to do, and you can even siphon it through a net and put the water back once it is cleaned up, if a water change is not needed. Even an air hose can be used a siphon, and if you fill it with water first, no need to suck on it or use a pump to start it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com