Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pregnant Fry?

I have only one fry left in my tank (some died some sold) and when I went to feed them today I noticed that her little belly is bigger today than it was yesterday. Is it possible that she could be pregnant? How old do females have to be before they are able to breed? She is about 3 months old, any advice would be appreciated

Attachment 96397

Attachment 96398

Old 05-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a guppy, right? The pictures are hard to see on an iPod. Female guppies can reproduce at about 3 months, so it is possible that she's pregnant.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi View Post
I have only one fry left in my tank (some died some sold) and when I went to feed them today I noticed that her little belly is bigger today than it was yesterday. Is it possible that she could be pregnant? How old do females have to be before they are able to breed? She is about 3 months old, any advice would be appreciated

Attachment 96397

Attachment 96398
If a fish is old enough to be carrying eggs, they are too old to be called fry
Seriously tho, since Guppies have shrunk in size over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if the females started carrying eggs at about 3/4 of an inch in size.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager

If a fish is old enough to be carrying eggs, they are too old to be called fry
Seriously tho, since Guppies have shrunk in size over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if the females started carrying eggs at about 3/4 of an inch in size.
Alright Andy knows lol so she's not a fry anymore but I still consider her that because she's so little.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettababe1011
This is a guppy, right? The pictures are hard to see on an iPod. Female guppies can reproduce at about 3 months, so it is possible that she's pregnant.
Yes she is a guppy sorry for leaving that part out. Because she's so little isn't the pregnancy going to be too hard on her?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shes probably just full of eggs. I have several fry ( or small fish lol) that have gravid spots and square out every month or so. But there are no males in the tank with them , so its probably just eggs.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles0oO
Shes probably just full of eggs. I have several fry ( or small fish lol) that have gravid spots and square out every month or so. But there are no males in the tank with them , so its probably just eggs.
But she was with males before I sold all of them, when I separated my fry I thought that she was male so she had went into my male tank for about a week
Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahh ok i get ya . She is pretty small to be pregnant but its plausible, just watch and wait then i guess, but i would let her our of the trap because it stresses her out.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles0oO
Ahh ok i get ya . She is pretty small to be pregnant but its plausible, just watch and wait then i guess, but i would let her our of the trap because it stresses her out.
Oh yes of course I'll let her out of the trap lol it was just for the picture she is the hardest one to take a picture of. I guess I'll just watch and see!

Tags
fry, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com