Pregnant ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NaughtyNoodle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, been a while since I've visited the website so I do apologize if I'm posting in the wrong forum:) I have the iPhone app and it doesn't let me see the entire "Freshwater & Brackish ...".

I have a 10 gallon, freshwater, community tank with about 5 ghost shrimp(one small bumble bee gobi, and a few neon tetras)... My boyfriend pointed out to me today that one of our ghost shrimp is big, fat, and very preggo. We can see the yellow-ish sack of eggs.

What can we do to help her? I have a spare 1 gallon, filtered tank that I was thinking about transferring her to; but am not sure and don't want to do more harm than good.

Thanks in advance for advice, and sorry again about the forum!

Hi all, been a while since I've visited the website so I do apologize if I'm posting in the wrong forum:) I have the iPhone app and it doesn't let me see the entire "Freshwater & Brackish ...".

I use the app too. I have found that if you turn the phone on it's side it will show you the whole name.

What can we do to help her? I have a spare 1 gallon, filtered tank that I was thinking about transferring her to; but am not sure and don't want to do more harm than good.

Thanks in advance for advice, and sorry again about the forum!

I'm no expert of breeding, but I have a small tank 2.5g tank plus a 15g that house my ghosts. I thought the same thing, and after found research that said that ghosts eat their own, I moved preggy into the 2.5g with platy fry. I watch and watch and watch her some more. My plan was to move her back to the 15g as soon as the eggs hatched so no cannibalism could happen. Of course she popped while I was sleeping. I moved her back the minute I woke up, but no shrimplets could be found.

To finish my story (I hit the send button... Oops) so I think she must have ate them within the first hours after hatching. My plan for my newest preggy ghost is to leave her in the 15g tank because I'm hoping the shrimplets will have better chance of hiding. :/

Not to rain on any parades but I'm fairly sure, based solely off research, that ghost shrimp babies can't live in full freshwater. Some salt must be present. Don't quote me because as we all know there's some conflicting info out there.

Not to rain on any parades but I'm fairly sure, based solely off research, that ghost shrimp babies can't live in full freshwater. Some salt must be present. Don't quote me because as we all know there's some conflicting info out there.

i think your thinking of amano shrimp which can only have surviving shrimplets in brackish waters
my ghost shrimp breed like crazy in my regular freshwater tank :)

to the op i use moss clumps for my shrimp and the babies love it it is also a great hiding place for the babies

Back
Top Bottom