Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pregnant ghost shrimp

It seems like my one ghost shrimp is always pregnant! She has had babies twice now and both times she is instantly pregnant again. She is pregnant now for a third time. I know she for sure had her babies and some of them survived. I separated her the first time so my 4 year old could see the whole process. Then, it looked like they all died but they must have gotten out and hid as there are definitely more, much smaller shrimp in the tank. The second time I did not separate her, however, I could tell that she was having her babies. Now she is pregnant again.. is this normal? How many times is she going to get pregnant? It seems to be only the one as she is much larger than the others.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

She might actually be a grass shrimp. Similar to a Cherry shrimp which can breed and live in FW. Ghost shrimp are slightly different as they are able to live in FW but when the babies are born, they need brackish water to grow and develop.

Maybe the others are males, tails are thinner and sit a tiny amount higher.

Have pics?

Ghost Shrimp tale is almost a 110-135 degree angle, kinda pointy, where as the Grass shrimp would be a gentle arch.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghost, ghost shrimp, pregnant, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com