Pregnant glo fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GideontheFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know its illegal to sell them and i didn't mean for them to breed in the first place I thought they were the same gender honestly ive had them for a few months. I need help because if my fish is pregnant then i don't know what to do and id really hate for them to all be eaten. I currently have two daino( i think thats spelled right) an orange and a blue, a green tetra glo fish, a cory catfish, and an x-ray tetra( i know they are schooling fish but the lady said it'd be alright but i think i may try and take the poor thing back. Im going to be gone tommorow but i plan to get one of those breeding nets and put some of the gravel and marbles in it. and wait to see what happens. If this is the right thing to do please let me know because ive never had this happen before.

sure thing but cant they swell up with eggs?

So you know, just because they swell up with eggs does not mean they will lay them. In most cases, the fish needs a partner and the right water conditions to induce them into spawning. Plus, being inside a breeder net will most likely not induce them to spawn as they are a fish that uses a lot of area to spawn in (which is one of the reasons why people use marbles on the bottom. The other is so that the parents don't eat the eggs themselves.) Unlike livebearers, just putting a gravid female in a breeder net does nothing for the spawning process. Also, the fish can carry the eggs an entire lifetime and not lay them so there is no harm in her being gravid (The technical term for holding eggs) and not spawning.

Hope this clarifies for you (y)

Thanks Im a complete newb :\ so i dont have to worry?

As hard as this may sound to hear, fish eggs and fish fry are a very nutritious food source for your other fish. If you have no intentions on breeding them intentionally, you should just except the fact that they may spawn in your tank (providing you have a male and female) and that the eggs , most likely, will get eaten and that's nature working in it's natural way.

Your fish will be better for it ;)

no thats allright lol ive just seen people talking about their fish dying or maybe that was betas i dont know lol

Back
Top Bottom