Pregnant Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyezar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, i'm very new at this. How do I tell if I have a pregnant guppy? I have 5 guppies. I think that at least two are males. I'm not sure about the other 3. What is the visual difference between male and female? I have 2 that have very big fan like tails.

A pregnant guppy will have a very large stomach. As they become more pregnant they will have a gravid spot at the back. That is a black spot by the anal fin.

They are very easy to sex. Females have a fan shaped fin at the bottom and males have a straight narrow fin.

ok then, I have two males and three females. The males keep swimming to the bottom of the tank, then shooting straight up. Is this some kind of mating ceremony or something?

That's normal behaviour for them. They are active little guys. What size tank do you have? You will have literally hundreds of fry in a few months with 2 males and 3 females.

That's not too bad. Start talking to your local lfs's about trading for credit and your local aquarium society if you have one. They breed like rabbits.

yeah that is a good idea, my only problem is that the nearest pet store is 25 miles away. but i could always ask

Now that sucks. Local paper or craigslist. Also local hobbyists will probably take them off your hands.

Thank you very much for all the info. I really appreciate it!

If you are willing to ship the little guys ill take em off your hands.

Depends on how and when you ship them. Its an involved process if you want to ensure a live arrival. I send feeder guppies through the mail to a buddy for his Angel tanks priority in a breether bag. I send about 20 at a time and he usually get about 15-18 alive. costs 6$ to send and about 4 for the bags and boxes. So it just depends. Looks like you are in michigan so maybe not on the sending them to me point since i am in Idaho the shipping may be to expensive

Back
Top Bottom