Pregnant guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chloejosh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had pregnant guppies for a while now but not 100% sure how long they have been pregnant. However, they began to look 'square!' So I moved them into a plastic breeder box. Now they don't look that big but still have the gravid spot?
Not sure whether to leave them in the breeder or put them back in the normal tank? I'm wanting to keep the fry so don't want them to get eaten. I also don't want them to get too stressed in there?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392082180.434120.jpg

Your Guppies

I have had pregnant guppies for a while now but not 100% sure how long they have been pregnant. However, they began to look 'square!' So I moved them into a plastic breeder box. Now they don't look that big but still have the gravid spot?
Not sure whether to leave them in the breeder or put them back in the normal tank? I'm wanting to keep the fry so don't want them to get eaten. I also don't want them to get too stressed in there?
View attachment 221865

Hello chloe...

If you prepare your tank for the Guppies, you don't need to move them. Trapping the fish is stressful and you may injure them. Guppies like a lot of floating plants. Common water weed and Hornwort are the best. Just get a bunch of stems at the pet store and drop them into the tank. Keep all the adults well fed. Well fed adult fish are unlikely to be interested in the fry.

Keep the water very clean with large water changes every week or two. Make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than that in the rest of the tank. I like to change half the water in my Guppy tanks at least every 2 weeks.

B

Them bring too stressed is my main worry however they seem to be calm enough.

It just confused me how one day they could be massive and square then the next they look normal again? If can't of given birth because she has been in the tank since looking square? Is she going in and out of labour/contractions?

Your Guppies

Them bring too stressed is my main worry however they seem to be calm enough.

It just confused me how one day they could be massive and square then the next they look normal again? If can't of given birth because she has been in the tank since looking square? Is she going in and out of labour/contractions?

Hello again chloe...

The females can hold off giving birth until they feel conditions are right for the survival of their fry. It's important that the water be pure. If you'll perform a water change, say 30 to 40 percent of the tank's volume and make the new, treated water a little bit warmer, this should encourage the female to drop her fry if she's close.

B

Well im actually breeding guppies for a small business right now and my female dropped just yesterday what i did was i have a well planted tank with annoying floating anacharchis i think thats right so the fry just hide there after the started swimming but also keep some ground cover so they're safe sorry forgot the main question i would suggest just leave your guppy in main tank watch carefully for fry if she drops take female scoop her up inside the breeder instead of netting and taking out of water then just net the endangered fry

When your guppies give birth, net the fry but keep the net in the water. Once the net is secured, use a cup to scoop up the fry and put it in the breeder box. I saved over 25 fry using this technique... I wish you good luck :)

Floating plants are highly recommended, because they could give birth when you're not around and some or most will be around that area. They'll feel safer.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392095954.606896.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392095954.606896.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 71
And I also recommend using incandescent bulbs (if not using them already) because it could be easier on the fry. IMO I think LEDs or fluorescent bulbs are too bright/strong for the fry...

Back
Top Bottom