Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

pregnant guppy acting funny

Hello I have a pregnant female guppy who just got over ammonia poisoning a few days ago . she has not been interested in eating at all for the past week. I literally have not seen her eat for the past three days to be exact. I'm not sure if this is normal. Is it because she is getting close to give birth or is there something else that could be wrong?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwaterashley View Post
Hello I have a pregnant female guppy who just got over ammonia poisoning a few days ago . she has not been interested in eating at all for the past week. I literally have not seen her eat for the past three days to be exact. I'm not sure if this is normal. Is it because she is getting close to give birth or is there something else that could be wrong?
Hey Ashley. I would guess it's because she's nearly ready to give birth. I notice my guppies always stop eating for a few days before she drops.....

Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Should i move her to my fry tank for the night or will that stress her out too much. Ive heard they can hold off on giving birth until they are comfortable, but i want to try to save as many as i can.. alsi..is it ok to put the new guppy fry in with my 1 week old platy fry? Or will they become a tasty treat?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwaterashley View Post
Should i move her to my fry tank for the night or will that stress her out too much. Ive heard they can hold off on giving birth until they are comfortable, but i want to try to save as many as i can.. alsi..is it ok to put the new guppy fry in with my 1 week old platy fry? Or will they become a tasty treat?
Yeah, you could go ahead and move her. The only thing I would check is that the two tanks have the same temperature. The new guppy fry will be absolutely fine with the platy fry. After you move her, turn the lights off and that should keep her calm....
Old 04-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hard to get a picture because she usually stays back near the filter, but any guesses how long she has?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130410_134313.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	166456   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130410_134323.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	166457  

Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hmm, if you ask me, she doesn't look too pregnant. She could just have a few though. Has she has fry before? The first few drops can have few fry. (Mine has 2 her first time!)

Are the males really bugging her? I've had females who act like that when over-pestered and they died soon after. Some are tougher than others though.

I hope she gets better soon!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

She doesn't appear to be close to having fry,but in the first few drops she can possibly have only 5 fry.Is the water quality good?What are the peremeters of the water?Nitrates,Ammonia,Nitrites?Ph?

Tags
guppy, pregnant, pregnant guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com