Pregnant Guppy Has Not Dropped Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygirl17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

In early June I purchased a female guppy, who was definitely pregnant when we got her. She had the gravid spot and she was also in a tank full of males.

I've watched her grow and she is now very boxy, and her gravid spot is even more prominent. She definitely should have had her fry by now, so why hasn't she?

I've attached a few pictures, but unfortunately it doesn't do her much justice. Her gravid spot blends with her tail - I assure you she really does have one. She was also swimming crazily, she must not like having her picture taken! :lol:

Any ideas on why she hasn't had her fry yet? Or am I just impatient?

13639768_1208870715810730_1006413138_o.jpg

13838231_1208870139144121_2045134472_o.jpg

She probably had them already and is pregnant again. In the pic theres barb in the background. It probably ate them when she had them.

She probably had them already and is pregnant again. In the pic theres barb in the background. It probably ate them when she had them.

Oh no! So if that happened, would she still keep the pregnancy 'weight' from before?

Pardon my questions, I'm fairly new to all of this. :fish2:

Oh no! So if that happened, would she still keep the pregnancy 'weight' from before?

Pardon my questions, I'm fairly new to all of this. :fish2:

Pretty sure females are always fat and pregnant. If you really want fry, you should put the female in her own tank or a breeder box/cube. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Pretty sure females are always fat and pregnant. If you really want fry, you should put the female in her own tank or a breeder box/cube. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I agree, also, the females can hold their fry a little longer if they feel stressed, but usually only up to a few extra days in their gestation. Also, as live carriers, they can continue to produce fry from one insemination for months, so as gg said, she could look pregnant for a while, while dropping a few fry every now and again! Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom