Pregnant guppy in tank that is still cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vixean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed that one of my guppies has been getting bigger lately. At first, I thought she was just having a bloating issue, so I started giving them a single pea once a week to help out their digestive tracts. However, I am starting to notice that she is developing a dark gravid spot as well. My main concern for making this thread is because I am concerned about the fry living in the tank while the water is going through such harsh chemical changes. How can I best prepare for mommy and her babies at this time? Thanks in advance :)

------------------------------------------------------------------
TL;DR: guppy is pregnant, tank is still cycling. What should I do?

By the time she gives birth the tank should properly be cycled! If not it could cause her to hold them until the conditions are right for her to give birth! But remember when she hold it can cause her stress and maybe even death! But if u have good aeration, a heater, and plenty of places for them to hide they should be fine! Thats just my opinion though! Good luck with your fry!

they are pretty tough fish. i was treating mine for fin rot in a hospital tank and 4 days into the treatment she had babies !! they all did well the babies are now 6 months old and perfect :)
good luck

Back
Top Bottom