Pregnant guppy or..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chamaleo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Picked up a couple gold tuxedo guppies a about three weeks ago. One of them has progressively gotten fatter/more bloated and just today I've noticed it hiding in some leaves.

I'm not sure if it's pregnant or has dropsy...any ideas?

(Not sure why previous post was deleted. Attached are photos)

Attachments

• IMG_20141013_152954134.jpg
    IMG_20141013_152954134.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20141013_153018778.jpg
    IMG_20141013_153018778.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 100
It doesn't look like the scales are lifted and the bulge in the stomach is not overly big.
It might just be pregers but im not to sure, ive never had guppies.
I would wait it out and see what happens, but it might be a good idea to pick some meds up just to have on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have some aquarium salt on hand which I used when I first added the fish. I usually keep an eye out for symptoms like flashing, sharp red gills, or overtly fast breathing.

Will definitely keep an eye out on that fish then. Would you suggest getting a breeder net? I don't even know what to do with the fry if the fish is in fact pregnant.

That is a male guppy. They can't, obviously, be pregnant. Bloated. :) feed some peas.

There is also a chance that you are over feeding- male guppies get chesty like that when overfed. My big males are like that.

You could even try raising the temp of the water and feeding some live foods to purge him

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's an update today. Raised the temp a couple degrees to 82 F. Added some aquarium salt too.

Still hiding away from others either in up upper back corners or in plants, not eating much... Noticed an odd patch on it today though, an injury? It's pointed out in the photo.

I have some long finned tetras in there that can be nippers if that helps to explain somewhat ragged fins.

Attachments

• IMG_20141014_193801.jpg
    IMG_20141014_193801.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 85
Dead this morning after sinking to bottom of tank. Not sure if it was entirely dropsy or not, but got rid of the other tetras(returned to store) before they bully around the other fish anymore.

Note: Serpae tetra definitely not a good choice with long finned fish.

Back
Top Bottom