Pregnant? Its my sisters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
allaboutfish said:
aww that's sad that people would design fish so they cant have babies

They used a gene splicer and glow genes from a jelly fish to make them believe iv done it before

pantherspawn said:
yeah i was just wondering the same thing.. maybe some kind of chemical bath or something.. who knows. Im not even positive that they are infertile, just what ive always heard. Could just be rumors passed around to detour breeding populations so they dont lose the financial side of the selling of them.

They take zebra danios zygotes and splice in the gene to make the glow protien

jetajockey said:
I don't think they'd go to this much trouble, the ones I've seen in the stores are juveniles so they aren't even reliably sexable yet at that point. Unfortunately I think it's common for them to sell juveniles because I've spoken to more than one person about how they thought they weren't zebras because they were so much smaller in the store.

It does take some skill to breed out egg scatterers, so it's not like throwing a bunch of guppies in a tank and adding water.

I don't know much about the science behind that, so I have no idea of how a process like that would even work. LFS workers, even at a good lfs, probably wouldn't know first-hand because they aren't likely to successfully spawn in the LFS setting anyhow.

That's a neat article, most of it is greek to me, but looks like it might be the culprit.

Ther small because they are infertile they splice out the gene to produce sperm i think and the females are somewhat able to breed but only w striped danios

No pantherspawn your right. I saw a show on glofish on how they used jellyfish DNA for color and how they can't reproduce with one another. It is however possible to use a male danio because I've seen people doing that on YouTube. The offspring was less flashier than the glofish in color, while some were colorless like the male danio.

Ther small because they are infertile they splice out the gene to produce sperm i think and the females are somewhat able to breed but only w striped danios
I'm not sure what their fertility has to do with their size in the store, but I'm trying to follow your logic.

If they splice out the gene for the males to reproduce then how do they keep a breeding stock?

jetajockey said:
I'm not sure what their fertility has to do with their size in the store, but I'm trying to follow your logic.

If they splice out the gene for the males to reproduce then how do they keep a breeding stock?

They don't they ether use the splicing for every fish produced or they will keep a separate stock which I think they don't thats y there so expensive

Robbed directly from the Glofish website:
Exactly how is the fluorescent protein gene added to the fish?
Every line of GloFish® fluorescent fish (i.e. Starfire Red®, Electric Green®, Sunburst Orange®, and Cosmic Blue™) starts with a single fish. The general process of developing fluorescent fish, as illustrated in this chart, begins by adding a fluorescence gene to the fish before it hatches from its egg. Once the gene integrates into the genome (i.e., genetic code) of the embryo, the developing fish will be able to pass the fluorescence gene along to its offspring upon maturity. Because of this, the gene only needs to be added to one embryo; from that point forward, all subsequent fluorescent fish are the result of traditional breeding.

This would suggest to me that they are in fact not infertile. However they are bred under license and the deliberate breeding and selling of Glofish by anyone other that Yorktown Technologies (or their partners and subsiduaries) is illegal. The fact that they have had to add this codicil would also suggest to me that these fish can breed.

Happy to help :D
Not able to buy these this side of the pond though :( GM livestock are banned.
It's a bit like living in California but without the sunshine lol

Back
Top Bottom