Pregnant mollie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollie93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
IMG_1207.JPG I can't tell if she is pregnant or if this is a discoloration. I found a fry in my tank but only one. I think my other mollie is pregnant.

Hello!

Firstly, I love the orange color! I'm a sucker for those :p. Anyways... I do believe she is not pregnant at the moment. I saw that because she may not be pregnant or recently gave birth. Gravid (pregnant) mollies will have a squared-off "swollen" belly and look square in shape as well. She seems to look like a regular balloon Molly at the moment. It's hard to tell just be the photo, but if you want to look behind her, she could have an opening in her urogenitals. Also, a dark gravid spot is a good indicator as well; this will be easier to spot because your fish is quite a light color.

Post any updates on fry! Babies are quite exciting!

IMG_1223.JPG she just had 19 fry. Can she possibly have more? This is my first time with fry. I just moved her out of the breeding tank to save the fry.

She may have more, and it is not unusual to see them drop dozens of fry. However, the number the drop depends upon the guppy themself. Your female may be done with her pregnancy, but give it a good day to be sure. Additionally, moving her out of the breeding risks the possibility of stressing her out and having her reabsorb her fry/ not dropping then and/or get sick too. for the next time, it's best to leave her in the breeder and provide lots of cover for the fry to hide in when they're born. She'll need a few days to recuperate.

Back
Top Bottom