Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2017, 03:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pregnant mollie?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	297781 I can't tell if she is pregnant or if this is a discoloration. I found a fry in my tank but only one. I think my other mollie is pregnant.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hello!

Firstly, I love the orange color! I'm a sucker for those :P. Anyways... I do believe she is not pregnant at the moment. I saw that because she may not be pregnant or recently gave birth. Gravid (pregnant) mollies will have a squared-off "swollen" belly and look square in shape as well. She seems to look like a regular balloon Molly at the moment. It's hard to tell just be the photo, but if you want to look behind her, she could have an opening in her urogenitals. Also, a dark gravid spot is a good indicator as well; this will be easier to spot because your fish is quite a light color.

Post any updates on fry! Babies are quite exciting!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Name:   IMG_1223.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  13.7 KB
she just had 19 fry. Can she possibly have more? This is my first time with fry. I just moved her out of the breeding tank to save the fry.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

She may have more, and it is not unusual to see them drop dozens of fry. However, the number the drop depends upon the guppy themself. Your female may be done with her pregnancy, but give it a good day to be sure. Additionally, moving her out of the breeding risks the possibility of stressing her out and having her reabsorb her fry/ not dropping then and/or get sick too. for the next time, it's best to leave her in the breeder and provide lots of cover for the fry to hide in when they're born. She'll need a few days to recuperate.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you! I will keep her in loner next time.

Tags
mollie, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com