Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

pregnant molly?

Here is a picture of one of my female mollys I no she doesnt look that big but she always stays either in the corner of the tank next to the heater and fry or at the bottom of the tank does this mean shes pregnant? I have two females and we dont know which one gave birth to our femaleq frys although, the other female is always mating with the two males so she cant be pregnant can she?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130326_091711.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	162461

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130326_091745.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	162463

Old 03-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Normally there is a black dot towards their butt but its hard to tell on a Dalmatian. I can't tell from the pictures. Their gestation period is about 28 days but they will sometimes hold babies longer if water conditions aren't perfect.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

They can also give four 'litters' of fry from one sexual encounter and become pregnant right after giving birth. I hope that helps!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for your replies, I have tried looking for that spot but its very difficult I cant tell. She has stopped swimming now unless she has too and just sits on the tank but from what I have read they only di this when they are going to give birth soon but there is no way she is big enough for this yet. Also I have another female and 2 male dalmation mollys and at the mintue they are going crazy especially the males they keep swimming up and down together for hours I thought maybe they were fighting but there was no nipping involved and they seem happy they are just acting very frantic almost like they are showing off to the other female (I no how silly that sounds but thats how it looks) do you know what could be causing them to act this way?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

They could just be trying to mate and impress the females with their dances.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea21 View Post
Thanks for your replies, I have tried looking for that spot but its very difficult I cant tell. She has stopped swimming now unless she has too and just sits on the tank but from what I have read they only di this when they are going to give birth soon but there is no way she is big enough for this yet. Also I have another female and 2 male dalmation mollys and at the mintue they are going crazy especially the males they keep swimming up and down together for hours I thought maybe they were fighting but there was no nipping involved and they seem happy they are just acting very frantic almost like they are showing off to the other female (I no how silly that sounds but thats how it looks) do you know what could be causing them to act this way?
That molly doesn't look pregnant at all. Can you get a different picture???. What is your latest water results???
Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Usuallyin about 35 days she will give birth.. also can greatly depend on you water condition.

Tags
molly, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com