Pregnant Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richriley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think my Molly is pregnant as it keeps getting bigger but every time I move her to the breeding tank She goes back skinny how can I stop this from happening it looks like she is going to pop at the min but done this a few times and every time she seems to loose them how do I stop her from loosing them

Leave her out of your breeding tank. That will make her stress out and possible abort the fry.

But. How will I save her fry they would get eaten won't they

Scoop them out when you see them. If you have plants in your tank- live or fake- the fry will see them and hide.

I have a male and female molly in my tank and have had three batches of fry from her, i did get a breeding box but decided against using it for the birthing process, instead i use it for housing the fry and keeping them safe after they are born, each time she has given birth during the night and the minimum number of fry i have saved is 17 which was off the first batch, maximum is 29 which was off the latest batch so dont worry about the whole lot being wiped out by tank mates fancying a fish supper ! Their survival instincts kick in from the moment they are born so you should get a decent percentage of survivors, a local pet shop take mine in return for fish food but i have kept a couple of the more striking ones, would never ever recommend a birthing box, good luck

Your Molly

Hello rich...

Mollies are the most sensitive of the livebearing fish. They are extremely particular about their water and their food. Like all livebearing females, they will hold off dropping their young until water conditions are perfect for fry survival. You must prepare the tank properly or you won't have any young in the tank.

Large, weekly water changes of 50 percent is needed. Make the replacement water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. 80 degrees is about right. You should have a trace of aquarium salt in the tank water. A teaspoon or a bit more in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water is sufficient.

Livebearing fish thrive in large groups, but come time to drop their fry they must have privacy. Floating plants are important. Pennywort, Anacharis and Hornwort are good. You just drop individual stems of any of these into the tank. The plants provide hiding places for the female and the fry.

Good food and a variety will keep the fish healthy. Frozen, freeze dried and a little flaked. Feed often, when the fry show up, if the adult fish are well fed, they won't bother the fry.

Just some suggestions.

B

Back
Top Bottom