Pregnant Molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowRider

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had mollies before I've bred them but this one confuses me. It is a green sailfin Molly from Swamp River aquatics. I can't tell if it's pregnant or not. It not fat and round but has the gravid spot.
It didn't have it a week ago so it's throwing me off.
I've had gold dust mollies drop and didn't even show the spot.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402402368.956756.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402402405.560994.jpg

It's pregnant but is malnourished. Feed it more to fatten it up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feed my fish three times a day. I feed them also five or six different types of food alternating them daily.
Freeze dried blood worms, freshwater shrimp, baby shrimp, freeze dried tube worm treat things. Plus frozen freshwater fish food and tropical flakes.
Guess some ladies are fat and some ladies are skinny.

How long would you guess till she drops the fry? I'm a bad judge of that. When I think they even the smallest degree they go into the 20 gallon planted tank.

Your Molly

Hello Snow...

Livebearing females can hold their fry until conditions are right. The right conditions are always water related. If the water isn't pure enough, it's doubtful there will be any fry in the tank.

I would suggest a large water change and make the new, treated tap water a little bit warmer than what's already in the tank. Mollies are brackish water fish and appreciate a little standard aquarium salt in their water. A teaspoon or a bit more in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water is enough. If you have other fish and plants in the tank, the amount won't bother anything.

Mollies are very particular about their water. It must be pure at all times. So, if you're not changing a minimum of half the tank water every week, you should.

B

Molly Tank Water

Going to do another tomorrow 15% or so

Hello again Snow...

Small water changes are really a waste of your time and effort. For Mollies, one large water change weekly will maintain stable water properties and a stable water chemistry is infinitely more important than a particular water chemistry.

Just change at least half the tank water every week and add the salt. Mollies are also very fond of algae and thrive in heavily planted tanks. Apparently, the more heavily planted, the more algae and the healthier the fish.

B

Back
Top Bottom