Pregnant molly!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yeah so I've had two molly fry now, since feb. They are still teeny tiny, but I think the biggest looks like shes gravid.
Shes got the big ole tummy, constantly. (( A mini version of what her pregnant mommy looked like ))
I didn't realize that the other fry was a male until a good hour long sit earlier of staring.

Shes only about ________ big, and I'm worried that if she is pregnant then if she tries to give birth she will die in the process :( I've really grown attached to her.

Is it a high possibility?
And is there any sort of conditioning foods I can give her that would maybe help her live if she is pregnant?
Or will they most likely just be stillborn?

She probably is pregnant Livebearers can breed at a young age and a molly that size shouyld be mature enough. As for your other questions. I have had really young guppies have babies but they usaully had about 2or3 babies that are teeny. They are healthy to this day. So IMO I'd leave it and let nature take its course.
Good Luck.
(Purti probably has some advice for you LOL)

LOL poor Purti. Yeah I realize they do such at a very young age, Im just worried about her being too small still, to give birth and remain healthy afterwards. Do you think I should set up my breeders net again, and put her in such so she wont be stressed out?

I never have used breeding nets or traps with my livebearers. I have always just let nature take its course. I'm not sure about the health though sorry but my like I said my livebearers have bred at a young age also :roll: But I would think it probably isn't all that healthy :(
Sorry I can't give you for sure questions :(
Good Luck :D

She might just plain be fat, if I started worrying about how fat my baby female mollies were then I'd be thinking they were alllll pregnant lol I found that my males do not go after the females their size but for the ADULT ones. I have yet to find one of my baby males going after one of his sisters but I seperated them about a month or two ago lol. But seriously, my female mollies ALWAYS look fat, unless I don't feed them for most of the day, and even THEN they look fat. They're just fat lazy pigs lol and I also found out that... females get fatter than the boys. The males are very slim and physique while the girls have a bit of a pot belly :wink:

Yeah I was looking at her really hard, but it really looks like shes gravid. Ive had em for awhile too, eight months.. so im guessing they're not really babies anymore ._.
I'm going to put her in the breeders net and cut back a little on her feedings.

Mmm....maybe, mine just reached... I think it's 3 months now cuz they were born in June. My males are a ticket though, it's amusing to watch my adult male put up his sail to try to trap them so he can try to breed them, then you got the male fights...lol

Back
Top Bottom