PREGNANT MOLLY... I think!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RiannaBill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry about the crappy photos but take a look... I have a huge white Molly, much larger than her male counterpart (pretty sure i've seen them mating) and significantly rounder. I've had her for more than a month and she's just grown and grown.. Could she be pregnant? I can't see anything in her belly (have read you can see something black normally) How long do they stay pregnant for? She is quite aggressive, greedy, stays near the top a lot and poo's frequently. How should I prepare for babies if this is the case? Please take a look at the photos and help!!! I know there are many threads already but I wanted direct advice, thankyou!

Attachments

• image-1566491299.jpg
    image-1566491299.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3171855531.jpg
    image-3171855531.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 73
Sorry about the crappy photos but take a look... I have a huge white Molly, much larger than her male counterpart (pretty sure i've seen them mating) and significantly rounder. I've had her for more than a month and she's just grown and grown.. Could she be pregnant? I can't see anything in her belly (have read you can see something black normally) How long do they stay pregnant for? She is quite aggressive, greedy, stays near the top a lot and poo's frequently. How should I prepare for babies if this is the case? Please take a look at the photos and help!!! I know there are many threads already but I wanted direct advice, thankyou!
Hi RiannaBill and welcome!!. As you said it's not the best photo, but she definitely looks pregnant. Mollies are very easy to breed. All you need is water and a male!!. Is it possible you could get a side on photo of her??.
They are pregnant for 4 weeks, every 4 weeks!!. Once there's a male in the tank, she's pregnant...Have you got a spare tank, even a 10g to put her in..She's a livebearer, so the fry will hide but depending on the size of your tank, stock, the fry will/could be eaten...Please post some details of your set-up,eg Tank size, Stock, Decorations. This is essential for people to offer you advice as there is a few ways you can do it....Ian

Thankyou:) that sounds like a lot of babies... It's a 60l with a large piece of bogwood. I've got another Molly, 2 platys, fighter, silvertip tetra and cherry barbs. I have another tank but it will take a while to set up again.. Would a breeder net be suitable?

Thankyou:) that sounds like a lot of babies... It's a 60l with a large piece of bogwood. I've got another Molly, 2 platys, fighter, silvertip tetra and cherry barbs. I have another tank but it will take a while to set up again.. Would a breeder net be suitable?

personally, i would use the breeder that have a slit at the bottom. the one attach is the one i am talking about. she swim on the top and once she give birth the fries would drop to the bottom. some would say put her in it would stress her out some will say otherwise. i have been using this for all my guppies. no a single problem.

Attachments

• p_25782_34685P_8.jpg
    p_25782_34685P_8.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 80
Yeah Mollies, Platies and Guppies are prolific breeders. A breeder trap would be more suitable than a breeder net. A net will catch all the fry, but the mother will then eat them. Have a look in your lfs for a breeder trap, try and get one with a divide at the bottom. This one let's the fry into the bottom half of the trap but stops the mother from getting at them..When she's about to drop, she will become 'square' at the belly(her belly will look straight rather than round when looked at from the side). I would then put her in the trap. Check out my fry album photos. The trap on the right is the one i;m talking about..In the photo of the blue platy, if you look closely, she is delivering a fry..
I've just seen Kkoifish's post and fully agree.That's the Rolls Royce of Breeding Traps!!. I also put her in the trap as late as possible but in your case it's hard to tell how far gone she is. I had some that barely looked pregnant and some that looked like they swallowed a marble...It might be worth your while setting up the other tank, especially if you want to breed them in the future... I'm on my third batch, my local fish store owner(who has become a mate) takes them off me in return for store credit!...Feel free to pm me if ya need any more help..I will be glad to help you if i can...Ian

Thanks guys, so helpful!!! Setting up the other tank is worth it, I think:) yay babies!!!

Back
Top Bottom