Pregnant Molly Surprise and Pic. Please Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VictoriaC

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello Everyone,

I got 2 female mollies about one month ago, and one of them i could tell was pregnant as her belly was rounder than the rest plus the gravid spot.
I had a male in a tank but he developed curved spine and passed about a week after i got the girls.

Long story short. ( Still a long one sorry)

Dalmation molly was chasing and bullying the golden dusty pregnant girl. SO couple of days ago i placed the pregnant one into a breeding net inside the 10G so the dalmation molly wont attack her.
Then after 4-5 days of no fry - i decided to release her back and see what happenes ( i also read that she can abort if placed in breeder too soon)
The golden one looks like bursting her belly is so big - also my tank temp is at 80 now but was up higher for three weeks because of ick.

So after i saw the dalmation chasing golden one again and pretty much fighting - i placed the dalmation molly in the breeder yesterday morning. Then did the water change - then fed them all ( and the gold one was constantly looking for food and eating like she never saw fod in her life), then we watch TV for 30 minutes - i look back in a tank and SURPRISE dalmation molly had a fry! I did not even know she was pregnant.... She had 8 live fry, one egg and 2 underdeveloped embryos... SO
After much debating ( the only other tank that i have is 5 gal with a betta male who attacks almost anything that moves)
We released the fry and the mother into the main tank ( it also has 3 shrimp and 5 neons)
Most of the fry did not swim -one got eaten by ghost shrimp :( two got chased and eaten by the new mom :( but this morning i see 2 swimming atop and hiding behind the breeding net. Hopefully they make it.

I placed the burstin golden one into the breeding net and thought she should deliver any minute now ( she stopped eating and just hanging at the bottom) But this morning still no fry...

Please help - i cannot release her into the main tank because the dalmation constantly chasing her and very predatory. But i am worried about keepeing her in that small net breeder as well...

Any ideas?

mollie1.jpg

mollie2.jpg

mollie3.jpg

Mayb try to create more hiding places, like a cave or som rocks, i like to use small flower pots as it has a designated area where thers only one way in and one way out, she may feel more safer if shes constantly being chased. This also gives her a nice breeding area as well so she can give birth in peace. I experienced the netted birthing cages scare the fish because its new nd they have no idea what it is, i like to use the clear floating cages as its very visible for u nd the fish, so it kinda seems like shes still in the tank nd doesnt notice to much where she really is, also u hafta b careful with these as they like to sink somtimes, i use a special water tape that u can find at ur local pet stores to kind of keep the top on jus in case the clear cage does sink nd u wont lose any fry or mother this way, hope i helped a little

Thank you !

I'll go to petstore today to see what they have.

Good news - i see 3 fry hanging out at the top in plants and behind the net ( i have some floating plants. But dalmatian still tries to get them

Also dalmation attempts to attacks the pregnant one thru the net breeder... is such an aggression normal among females?

Well i usually see fish in that small of a tank fight for dominance, specially if they feel threatened by another fish. Ive had an angelfish pick on everyone in the tank(pleco,upside down cat, rasboras,even its own kind an angelfish)but as soon as i built caves nd hiding places it calmed bcuz everyone had a spot. It was only one angelfish causing all the problems, so it may jus b an angry fish lol. Im not to sure about mollies but i do know some fish can get aggressive during the labor process too.

Yeah thats what i thought - fighting for dominance.. but there are plenty of hiding places.. i have a plastic rock-like "cave" for hiding but mostly see dalmation one picking bottom there and large female ghost shrimp hanging out there.

Yea see now they have already claimed it, i see u have plants too, mayb try to make one corner real forrest like, mayb to the point where u cant even see them if they are there. Also try to keep it opposite where dalmation likes to hang, trying to keep them seperate may cool things down a bit

Ok,
what if i move betta to his previous home - 1.5 gal bowl and place it in a warm place on the kitchen ( we are in LA so it really does not get that cold)

and then either place the dalmation molly into that 5 gallon, or place the pregnant molly into the 5 gallon- but then she might be stressed from the move?

That isnt a bad idea, but i wouldnt leave him there for long bcuz he was use to bigger aqaurium, filtertration ect. Nd i would move the pregnant molly into the tank with no other fish so she can do her thing without being disturbed, she may get a little stressed, but if ur temp. Nd water are alike u should have no problems, so mayb test both water before doing so

They are aggressive because the tank is too small.I recommend you upgrade to a 20 Long or 30 gallon aquarium. You can leave the babies in the breeder net.

Ok thanks for the advice everyone!

Unfortunately i do not have a space or money right now to upgrade.
The only thing i might be able to get in the future is another 10Gal of 5gal ( we live in apartment)

However i do have a good neighbor downstairs with a 29 Gal - she said she will take some fish.

Is there any thread on this forum for giving away fish to local aquarists?

I read that 5 gal is enough for a pair of same sex mollies - so apparently this is not true?

Thanks again

Ok thanks for the advice everyone!

Unfortunately i do not have a space or money right now to upgrade.
The only thing i might be able to get in the future is another 10Gal of 5gal ( we live in apartment)

However i do have a good neighbor downstairs with a 29 Gal - she said she will take some fish.

Is there any thread on this forum for giving away fish to local aquarists?

I read that 5 gal is enough for a pair of same sex mollies - so apparently this is not true?

Thanks again
No it is NOT true.Two mollies should be in no less than 20 gallons with few tankmates.(i.e a school of cories and a school of neons)
They can get 6-7 inches long.
Try the classifieds

Back
Top Bottom