Pregnant or bloated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

felku

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wasn't sure if this section was the right one. I have a swordtail I guess, I mentioned "I guess" because it was sold to me as a platy. She is acting strange since today, I had her in a different tank with some platy and since today the other fish started to bully her(in the past she was the bully) She looks plumpy but I can't see the gravid spot or at least I think it not.

Attachments

• 12033438_10207871419287477_1444051622_n.jpg
    12033438_10207871419287477_1444051622_n.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 67
I'm no expert but if you put a female livebearer in with males they will chase the females all around. This happens especially if you have more males than females. Looks like a platy to me but I don't keep them so I can't say for 100%. Maybe just take stock of your male to female ratio. If there are an equal number you need more females. With livebearers you usually want 2 or 3 females to every male just because of the relentless chasing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have tank with 6 fish 2 males and 4 females, the other 5 are platy and she definitely looks different. Until today she was the one chasing the other fish , she was very active. Today she seems strange, she was like shaking int he bottom of tank and staying there for long of times. The I started to see the other fishes picking at her fin. So I decided to move her to my planted fry tank. she is definitely acting strange.

Ok that answers a lot of questions. You might Google fish shimmying. I've heard of this but have not seen it personally. So here are some more questions. How long have you had each fish? How long has your tank been established and what are your water parameters. The answers can help rule out somethings. Unfortunately diagnosing fish disease is a lot of educated guessing and ruling things out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

She could be dropping fry. Is what it sounds like to me. She also looks like a platy to me (they come in a lot of different sizes and shapes) but pictures of the other fish might be helpful in deciding that.

Often live bearers come from the pet store already pregnant due to the proximity of males before they are sold. Unless this behavior continues for more than 24 hours I wouldn't be concerned ( also other fish will often chase live bearers who are dropping in an attempt to eat the fry)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I have already 2 months with the fish, The tank is cycled ,0 ammonia,0 nitrite and the nitrate is 5pmm. PH 7.5 .

I moved the fish because it was acting like my other pregnant fishes when it was time to go in labor. It was strange for me because I didn't think it was pregnant. I moved her to a 10g planted tank where I have some shrimps and play frys. I wake up today and saw her resting on the bottom with clamped fins. It doesn't look like pregnant to me.

I'm 100% sure is not pregnant now it seems this thread doesn't fit this topic anymore. I moved the fish to her tank, did a 50% wc and add some salt. Also started to do some dewormer food , just in case. She looks a little better.

Back
Top Bottom