Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pregnant or Dropsy?!

Iím new to the aquarium world and donít know how to tell if my Panda Platy is pregnant (or if itís even female) or if it might have a disease of some kind. I currently have two platys, one is male, and Iím not sure about the other (potentially pregnant) one. All the levels in my tank were normal when I last checked and the platy hasnít been exhibiting any strange behavior, although itís poop was very pale when I checked this morning. Any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCEFB2CB-6152-42B1-ADBA-0FB9F89A4D56.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	312409  

Old 03-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it looks very pregnant to me but i dont really see a gravid spot. some fish though dont show a gravid spot well due to coloring. is it just its belly that is protruding or does the body look abnormally swollen also? are the scales pineconing outwards? any change in behaviour?

Old 03-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
it looks very pregnant to me but i dont really see a gravid spot. some fish though dont show a gravid spot well due to coloring. is it just its belly that is protruding or does the body look abnormally swollen also? are the scales pineconing outwards? any change in behaviour?

It seems to be just the belly to me, but I also wouldn’t really know. Scales seem to be lying flat. Any behavioral changes would be minimal (sticking closer to other fish than usual, preferring to swim lower in tank than usual) but the fish is still very active and eating like normal! Here’s a couple more pictures if that helps...(fish closest to edge of tank in first pic, fish closest to camera in second)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D5A1962-6409-4954-B234-4EF6B5A1ADEF.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	312410   Click image for larger version

Name:	03BB95AA-B449-429B-B306-31946D9D17EF.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	312411  

Old 03-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ah that last picture might help a bit. At the rear of the belly you see the darker spot behind the silver belly area? That looks like a gravid spot. They usually look more black but again it could be due to its coloring that its not so dark. Just to make certain are any other fish showing abnormal swelling to the belly?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
Ah that last picture might help a bit. At the rear of the belly you see the darker spot behind the silver belly area? That looks like a gravid spot. They usually look more black but again it could be due to its coloring that its not so dark. Just to make certain are any other fish showing abnormal swelling to the belly?
Not at all! That’s what first caught my attention, I went to feed them this morning and one was swollen like a balloon and the other looked perfectly normal. (My tank is up against a wall, so usually I just see their cute little faces from the front when I feed them, and it’s usually dark since I feed them in the early am, today I was later than usual, and standing over the tank to check and make sure they didn’t eat my Cory’s sinking pellets before he had a chance to get to them since he’s been looking a little skinny lately)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My fish is now hovering near the top of the tank worried it very well may be dropsy. I guess I will be waiting to see what happens
Old 03-20-2019, 02:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add Epsom salt to your tank in case it's constipation. Start out at 2 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water. After a couple days double the dose. You can run up to one teaspoon per gallon of water. Don't feed your fish for 3 days.

Tags
drop, dropsy, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com