Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unhappy Pregnant or sick?

My Mollie is HUGE now and I have her in a breeder for three days now, but she doesn't look to be having any fry
Yesterday I've noticed some red bubble sticking out from the back (where I think the babies should come out?) and today a whole place around swelled a bit more and there's something looking like a white blisters. I'm getting worried now and don't know what to do

Should I just give her some time? She is eating without any problems and have quite an appetite.

I put some pictures, but she swings from one side to another constantly and it's hard to get a decent shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0760.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	64837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	64838  

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	64839  

Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

im sorry, but u may want to put her in a hospital tank. by the looks of it she's too far gone, and i have no inclination to say she is pregnant. im very sorry xxx

Old 12-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont know if shes pregnant or not... But that definitely isnt normal. I work at a LFS with tons of mollys/platies/guppies and I have never seen anything like this... It kind of looks like something ruptured.

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have no hospital tank I'm afraid the only other tank is with my Monster Shrimps (which are great, btw; thank you very much)
I took her out of the breeder as she certainly had enough and was trying to get back to her friends. She's eating a lot as if she didn't noticed that there's something wrong. Good for her!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

hope the wee fish is ok mate and you figure out whats up im a big fan of mollies and i hate to see one suffer
Old 12-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi yes doesn't look good certainly not pregnant. If she is eating then that's a good sign Has the fish been like this long?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

She just did a MASSIVE poo yesterday and there was something white and nasty that came off, and then she almost broke the breeder trying to get out!! She's swimming with the others now, noticeably slimmer and doesn't look sick at all anymore Yay!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

i agree with firebapx.
is she a balloon molly? if so, i've never seen a balloon molly pregnant, but i would imagine it would look something like that
yay for massive poo?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

it came to my attention when i first saw the image that she had blisters, rotting fins and next to no tail. she was crazily bloated and had small white fuzz like bits on her body. i didnt want to be so harsh, but there was no chance that was pregnancy effects, even if she was preggo. balloon mollies can look huge but that bloating was very unfortunate for her

i think she had a mix of diseases, a parasite and fungus most likely imo. therefore, she needed her own QT tank to stop other fish getting infected, a breeder box is next to no good for QT as there is still water flow to the main tank from it.
please keep an eye on the fish in the main tank, they are likely to have contracted something, even if it doesnt end up affecting them at all.

can we please have an updated pic of her? im very glad she's on the mend! xx
Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic
it came to my attention when i first saw the image that she had blisters, rotting fins and next to no tail. she was crazily bloated and had small white fuzz like bits on her body. i didnt want to be so harsh, but there was no chance that was pregnancy effects, even if she was preggo. balloon mollies can look huge but that bloating was very unfortunate for her

i think she had a mix of diseases, a parasite and fungus most likely imo. therefore, she needed her own QT tank to stop other fish getting infected, a breeder box is next to no good for QT as there is still water flow to the main tank from it.
please keep an eye on the fish in the main tank, they are likely to have contracted something, even if it doesnt end up affecting them at all.

can we please have an updated pic of her? im very glad she's on the mend! xx
Thanks for reply!
Her tail was like that since I bought her so not sure about the fin rot Didn't see any signs of parasite and my other fishes are all healthy and I can't see any behaving in any odd way.

The Molly itself seems to be fine, eating for two and can't chase away the bachelors

UPDATE::
She was pregnant after all
I just found two new baby-fishes
Didn't manage to put them to the breeder, they camouflage too well
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-162079606.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	65852   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3777020295.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	65853  

Name:	image-4226860913.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	65854   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2693391180.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	65855  

Tags
ick, pregnant, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com