Pregnant or sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Mollie is HUGE now and I have her in a breeder for three days now, but she doesn't look to be having any fry :(
Yesterday I've noticed some red bubble sticking out from the back (where I think the babies should come out?) and today a whole place around swelled a bit more and there's something looking like a white blisters. I'm getting worried now and don't know what to do :huh:

Should I just give her some time? She is eating without any problems and have quite an appetite.

I put some pictures, but she swings from one side to another constantly and it's hard to get a decent shot.

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 100
im sorry, but u may want to put her in a hospital tank. by the looks of it she's too far gone, and i have no inclination to say she is pregnant. im very sorry :( xxx

I dont know if shes pregnant or not... But that definitely isnt normal. I work at a LFS with tons of mollys/platies/guppies and I have never seen anything like this... It kind of looks like something ruptured. :(

I have no hospital tank I'm afraid :( the only other tank is with my Monster Shrimps (which are great, btw; thank you very much)
I took her out of the breeder as she certainly had enough and was trying to get back to her friends. She's eating a lot as if she didn't noticed that there's something wrong. Good for her!

hope the wee fish is ok mate and you figure out whats up im a big fan of mollies and i hate to see one suffer

Hi yes doesn't look good :( certainly not pregnant:(. If she is eating then that's a good sign(y) Has the fish been like this long?

She just did a MASSIVE poo yesterday and there was something white and nasty that came off, and then she almost broke the breeder trying to get out!! She's swimming with the others now, noticeably slimmer and doesn't look sick at all anymore :) Yay!

i agree with firebapx.
is she a balloon molly? if so, i've never seen a balloon molly pregnant, but i would imagine it would look something like that
yay for massive poo? :)

it came to my attention when i first saw the image that she had blisters, rotting fins and next to no tail. she was crazily bloated and had small white fuzz like bits on her body. i didnt want to be so harsh, but there was no chance that was pregnancy effects, even if she was preggo. balloon mollies can look huge but that bloating was very unfortunate for her :(

i think she had a mix of diseases, a parasite and fungus most likely imo. therefore, she needed her own QT tank to stop other fish getting infected, a breeder box is next to no good for QT as there is still water flow to the main tank from it.
please keep an eye on the fish in the main tank, they are likely to have contracted something, even if it doesnt end up affecting them at all.

can we please have an updated pic of her? im very glad she's on the mend! xx

Yay!

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
it came to my attention when i first saw the image that she had blisters, rotting fins and next to no tail. she was crazily bloated and had small white fuzz like bits on her body. i didnt want to be so harsh, but there was no chance that was pregnancy effects, even if she was preggo. balloon mollies can look huge but that bloating was very unfortunate for her :(

i think she had a mix of diseases, a parasite and fungus most likely imo. therefore, she needed her own QT tank to stop other fish getting infected, a breeder box is next to no good for QT as there is still water flow to the main tank from it.
please keep an eye on the fish in the main tank, they are likely to have contracted something, even if it doesnt end up affecting them at all.

can we please have an updated pic of her? im very glad she's on the mend! xx

Thanks for reply!
Her tail was like that since I bought her so not sure about the fin rot Didn't see any signs of parasite and my other fishes are all healthy and I can't see any behaving in any odd way.

The Molly itself seems to be fine, eating for two :popcorn: and can't chase away the bachelors :D

UPDATE::
She was pregnant after all :dance:
I just found two new baby-fishes :fish2:
Didn't manage to put them to the breeder, they camouflage too well :)

Attachments

• image-162079606.jpg
    image-162079606.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3777020295.jpg
    image-3777020295.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4226860913.jpg
    image-4226860913.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2693391180.jpg
    image-2693391180.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
that brilliant! im so glad its going great! she looks so much healthier now. a bit bloated, but im hoping thats just a lot of babies!
give us a baby head-count if u can :D xxx

I hope so as well :)
Didn't intend to breed them at all, but since I'm getting a bigger tank anyway, I guess I don't mind :D
As for the head-count. As for now I see two little-ones: one in the breeder and second one just by the filter, where I can't get to him and put into a breeder as well. The third one I cannot locate, but there's plenty of plants to hide, so I can only hope he's still there somewhere :)

Back
Top Bottom