Pregnant Otocinclus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vatilla

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I know that Otos hardly ever breed in captivity, but my female has been getting a little rounder than usual lately. It could just be that she's loving the cucumbers I've been giving them for a Christmas treat, or that she's always looked this way and I only just noticed. I'll try and get a picture soon, but thus far does anyone think she may be pregnant? Or maybe sick? Either way, I'd like some advice! Thanks! :thanks:

They cannot be pregnant as they aren't livebearers. It isnt impossible as 8 months back mine spawned. But I didn't know who the eggs belonged to and what to do. It may be due to the cucumber. Post pictures and I might be able to help.

I'll try, but she can hide for up to 2 weeks without me seeing her (I once videotaped them at night and they were much more active, they apparently just don't like socializing), but I'll try and find her.

It's a miracle!!

They cannot be pregnant as they aren't livebearers. It isnt impossible as 8 months back mine spawned. But I didn't know who the eggs belonged to and what to do. It may be due to the cucumber. Post pictures and I might be able to help.

Keep an eye on those fry!!!! otos have not been known to breed in captivity. They are wild caught which is why there is such a huge distinction between the healthy and the unhealthy.

blanched zuchinni, squash, softened peas, and there is always the slightest itty bitty chance that since they are so young you can train them to take softened algae wafers!! OMG Good luck!! Keep me updated- I absolutely love otos.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::dance::dance::dance:(y)(y)(y)

Keep an eye on those fry!!!! otos have not been known to breed in captivity. They are wild caught which is why there is such a huge distinction between the healthy and the unhealthy.

blanched zuchinni, squash, softened peas, and there is always the slightest itty bitty chance that since they are so young you can train them to take softened algae wafers!! OMG Good luck!! Keep me updated- I absolutely love otos.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::dance::dance::dance:(y)(y)(y)

Mine didn't live pasted the free swimming stage :( I didn't know they were rare so I left them.

Dang!! I don't even know how to begin with them as fry so I was just shooting from the hip on what fry might eat based on the otos that I have been around (my 6, my moms 20, and my friends 3). I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen again- but if it does you definitely have to share!!

breeding otos

i saw some articles on breeding otos on planet catfish there are people that are breeding them there

Here's a article I wrote : BREEDING OTOCINCLUS

Breeding tank size: ten gallons
Number of Ottos : 3 1F 2M
Tank temperature: 25 c

Conditioning: to condition Ottos you will need a tank which has algae . Supplement their diet with blanched spinach or zucchini. Driftwood carries algae and is therefore a good decor for a breeding setup. They are herbivorous but I have been able to feed mine frozen bloodworms. The female will develop a rounder stomach due to being filled with eggs, whereas the males will remain streamlined.

Breeding :
Spawning is triggered by water changes using water that is a few degrees cooler than that temperature of the water in the tank. Like cory catfish the Ottos form a T shape. Not much more is known on breeding because it is accidental .

Back
Top Bottom