Pregnant Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silver_rose42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not sure if my mickey mouse platy is pregnant. I can't tell the difference between the males and females, and mine has been trying to hide, which was incredibly uncommon a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure if it is pregnant or not, or if it happens to be a really fat platy, but if you have any advice that'd be great. I had a different platy give birth, then died afterwards. That one was a surprise; she had gone into hiding, but was always doing so, so I didn't think twice about it. I found a couple of the fry, and saved them, but those were the only two I found, and I don't want the same to happen to this set if she is going to have fry. Any suggestions would be helpful!

5ckk11.jpg

2n853s7.jpg

She really isn't gravid or anything. I say shes just a very "big" platy. ;)

-Dylan

That's a male I think? The lower fin is a bit stick shaped, on the female its more fan shaped like the other fins on them. Sorry not sure of the proper fin names only know bout this cos my platy was recently knocked up!

It's cool... My platy was just kinda laying on the gravel when I came home, which is really unusual... I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out, and see what happens.

For all I know, (s)he is just a big platy, like you said, Dylan.

What and how often do you feed?

I feed the Tetramin Tropical Flakes, and it's enough that all of them get enough food to eat. In my tank, I have 3 molleys, the platy, an african dwarf frog, and a female betta that eat the food. I do give my betta regular betta food too, but the platy doesn't eat her food. I honestly don't think (s)he overeats, since it's one of the more shy ones in my tank.

Update : She started acting like my other platy did when she gave birth; swimming toward the bottom, avoiding being found, swimming a little funny (on her side and resting a lot more than usual). So I put her in my breeder box just in case.

I agree with harryc it looks like a male to me, although I have heard of false females who look like males.

That's a male I think? The lower fin is a bit stick shaped, on the female its more fan shaped like the other fins on them. Sorry not sure of the proper fin names only know bout this cos my platy was recently knocked up!

The proper name for the males anal fin is "gonopodium", and yes that guy is a dude!

Unfortunately, his behavior was a sign he was sick. He passed away this morning. :( It was kind of unexpected, but it happened in a short amount of time.

All of my other fish have been healthy, and he was only like that for maybe a day or two. He was eating normally, behaving normally until the day I posted his picture. I honestly don't know what was going on, but, like I said, my others are doing absolutely fine.

Unfortunately, his behavior was a sign he was sick. He passed away this morning. :( It was kind of unexpected, but it happened in a short amount of time.

All of my other fish have been healthy, and he was only like that for maybe a day or two. He was eating normally, behaving normally until the day I posted his picture. I honestly don't know what was going on, but, like I said, my others are doing absolutely fine.

Sorry to hear about your lost. Good luck with the rest of your fish!

Back
Top Bottom