Pregnant Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.hinz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just need some help deciding weather or not my platy is pregnant. I keep wanting to think she is but I am really unsure. I have added a picture if anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• platy.jpg
    platy.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 153
YAY!! I was thinking that was a gavid spot but wasnt really sure. Should she get fatter than she is? I have never had a pregnant fish before so this is all new to me. I do have a seperate tank ready and waiting for the fry when they make an appearance. Thanks for the help!:D

Some platys get really fat and others don't. When mine had 18 fry, she wasn't big at all, but this past week, she dropped 35 and was so fat I thought she was going to explode. Since your platy is light colored, you can see all the little black eyes. Good luck on being a GrandPlaty!

Some platys get really fat and others don't. When mine had 18 fry, she wasn't big at all, but this past week, she dropped 35 and was so fat I thought she was going to explode. Since your platy is light colored, you can see all the little black eyes. Good luck on being a GrandPlaty!

GrandPlaty! Heehee! That's cute! ^^;

Yay!! I cant wait to be a GrandPlaty...lol....thanks yall!

Ok, how often will my Platy get Prego? Will my male only mate with her or will he mate with my other females? So far he only follows her around and she is the only prego one.

a.hinz said:
Ok, how often will my Platy get Prego? Will my male only mate with her or will he mate with my other females? So far he only follows her around and she is the only prego one.

You can expect more baby platies usually every 28 days; at times gestation may last up to 6 weeks. With the right water parameters and a slightly warmer temperature you may be able to shorten gestation. If you have other female platies they are likely already pregnant. Your male will mate with other platies, you just may not see it. As for the male following the prego platy,if he is following right behind her anus he is likely preparing for the birth. ... hence his live meal ! D:

CONGRATS on the platy fry! :)

Ok thanks so much for everyones help! I will seperate my prego from my male so I can make sure my Fry survive(no live meals here) :p I do believe I have more prego platies I am now seeing gavid spots in 2 other females. Yay this is exciting! Thanks again all!

it is exciting. I have one balloon molly who just dropped her fry a week ago, abouts only 2 survived and there growing and happy in my maturation tank, and another due any day now :)

my daughters tank is being overrun by fry, there everywhere and all stages!

Ok thanks so much for everyones help! I will seperate my prego from my male so I can make sure my Fry survive(no live meals here) :p I do believe I have more prego platies I am now seeing gavid spots in 2 other females. Yay this is exciting! Thanks again all!

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom