pregnant platy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so she is looking very big now and her tummy is swelling out the sides, if her lower body is squared does that mean i will be seeing some fry soon? Also i have been told that fry need a differant type of food??

mhairi1986 said:
Ok so she is looking very big now and her tummy is swelling out the sides, if her lower body is squared does that mean i will be seeing some fry soon? Also i have been told that fry need a differant type of food??

Yes and not necessarily.. I crush up flakes/crisps into powder till they get bigger and increase crushed size and babies grow. OR you can get Haikari First bites at LFS...

ocminpin said:
Yes and not necessarily.. I crush up flakes/crisps into powder till they get bigger and increase crushed size and babies grow. OR you can get Haikari First bites at LFS...

What is lfs? Ive seen that mentioned on a few threads :-\

I have two platys also and I am hoping that my girl is preggy. When I got her the lfs (local fish store) said she thought her tummy looked big, but I have not noticed much. how long is the gestation period for a platy? My boy seems to be having trouble adjusting to his new home so I don't think they are making any right now. I had heard platys and mollies make babies frequently, so I am hoping for some at some point in time.

Heather, IMO, no. Yours does not look pregnant at all to me. However, if she has been around a male in the last 3 months, she probably is and just might not be showing it yet. :)

Heather, IMO, no. Yours does not look pregnant at all to me. However, if she has been around a male in the last 3 months, she probably is and just might not be showing it yet. :)
well, I kinda wanted babies... I have a boy and a girl, but the boy doesn't seem to be paying her any attention at all! she swims around and plays in the water stream and he sits up at the top or the bottom and doesn't play much at all.

how long is platy gestation?
I have a gourami in the tank now also. will he eat all the babies? I know the platys eat their babies, but the gourami is bigger and it will take a while for babies to get big enough that he won't eat them right?

Yeah, the gourami will eat them. Most fish will pretty much eat any other fish that will fit in their mouths. Platy gestation is roughly 28 days, but the fish can choose to delay dropping the fry a little. Also, a female can store sperm after an encounter with a male. Hopefully he figures it all out eventually. If oyu have multiple females for every single male, that helps. Also, sometimes male platies are only intersted in females who are a similar color to themselves.

so would it be ok to get another pair? (one more female and one more male) or should I go with just the female. If I get another female that will make my existing male more interested in one of them?

HeatherW said:
so would it be ok to get another pair? (one more female and one more male) or should I go with just the female. If I get another female that will make my existing male more interested in one of them?

If i were you I'd only get females if you have a male. He can spread out the attention and it won't cause rivalries between two males.
I have mollies and have 5 females and 1 male. As long as he's alive he will be the only male in the tank.

Males love their girls, and are quite sexually insatiable. So one male is plenty enough for several females ;)

Back
Top Bottom