pregnant platy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhairi1986

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi think my new platy could be pregnant, i bought 2 a fortnight ago and one has already given birth but even though she was in a nesting trap they escaped and have only seen one since. The second one looks heavily pregnant and is in the nesting trap but im not sure how far on she is.... Help please :)

ForumRunner_20111227_213005.jpg

Ok i have just noticed the first platy to give birth has gotten really big again l, she gave birth on christmas day.... Is it possible that she is still pregnant? As i said i only seen one fry.... :-\

ocminpin said:
OHHH ya! She sure is! She looks to be squaring too... Congrats!

Thanks!! Aww i cant wait! Hopefully these lil ones will make it!! Not sure who the daddy is but the last lot were orange lol!

I breed Mollies, but my first female Platy is getting larger by the day. I expect babies 2nd wk in Jan. :) you will definitely be there before me.. Good luck & have fun

Fishie said:
Yes she is nice job

Thanks, she is acting a bit funny now, darting back and forth in the breeder but my beta is pestering her lol hopefully ill see some fry soon!!

I've had females act differently... I've had them hang by the heater... Do a tipsy thing suddenly as they swim... Hang near the bottom... Swim frantically..

ocminpin said:
Any little ones yet?

No none yet but she looks thinner to me 2day, maybe im imagining things lol but as the last fry escaped im worried that she has given birth and they got out.... Wot do u think?

ForumRunner_20111229_145618.jpg

Yeah she looks thinner to me, maybe look closely in the tank amd keep ur eyes out for them? When i was in 8th grade (so 4 years ago) my platy had babies.

smileyface9 said:
Yeah she looks thinner to me, maybe look closely in the tank amd keep ur eyes out for them? When i was in 8th grade (so 4 years ago) my platy had babies.

Ive had a look and cant see any :-( mind u i dnt think they would last long, my beta has been stalking the breeder for days so im sure he would have caught them!! But still have one more pregnant platy left! Any tips on how to stop fry escaping the trap?? I really want at least one birth to survive lol

I've only succesfully bred my platy once, but i think what you could do is get a tank divider to at least keep your fish seperated. That way the smart fry stay away from your larger fish and hide in a safer zone where they can't get to them. My fish tried hoping over the divider though..it worked for me, but still keep an eye on them just in case.

Yeah, she does look thinner. There is a chance she aborted the fry, or else she dropped some of them and ate them.

smileyface9 said:
I've only succesfully bred my platy once, but i think what you could do is get a tank divider to at least keep your fish seperated. That way the smart fry stay away from your larger fish and hide in a safer zone where they can't get to them. My fish tried hoping over the divider though..it worked for me, but still keep an eye on them just in case.

Ill keep an eye out for them, i have a huge sunken ship with plants round it so im guessing if the have survived they will be in there. The biggest fish in that tank is my betta, have a 60gallon tank for my bigger ones lol i have a small one foot tank going spare so might set that up for breeding or ill try putting some net round the breeder to make it safer :)

This is a pic of the platy who gave birth on xmas day, she is looking pretty big again but as i only seen one fry im not sure if she had a full birth! I am new to breeding so could use some help lol

ForumRunner_20111229_193346.jpg

Her gravid spot is quite dark and larger than it was a few days ago, i think my girls are trying to keep me guessing lol

Good luck! :) and maybe put her into the ten gallon until you think she's completely given birth? I think she's still pregnant.

Ok third time lucky lol i have her in the breeder, ive put net around it and have a devider so the fry fall to the bottom! They cant escape or get eaten haha! Heres hoping!

Perhaps she only popped a few out as she was stressed by the breeder. Idealy she should be left to swim free in a separate tank or just fill out the original tank with lots of real plants for hiding places.

Back
Top Bottom