Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pregnant Platy?

What do you think? Yes, no? Sooner, later?

Attachment 89707

Attachment 89710

Old 04-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't think your platty is pregnant. Although I'm only thirteen and new to breeding, when my platty had her babies, unexpectedly and the night after I got her, I did a whole bunch of research. If a platy is pregnant, not only does she get fat but the gravid spot between the gender fin and belly fins is supposed to get darker. Because a platty is a live bearer, this dark spot is supposed to be the eyes... Plus platties who are pregnant that are sort of see through like yours, you are supposed I make out the eyes. Another affect of pregnancy is white waste and hiding. If you do have a pregnant fish, don't put her in a breeder when she is about I give birth. It only stresses her out more..Did you get any of that?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's possible she could be pregnant but in the very early stages. With her abdomen being so clear you will know for sure when you see little black dots gathering near her anal fin. Those will be the eyes then just a matter of time.

On another note she's a gorgeous mickey mouse
Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks fishlover, you seem to know your facts! Yeah, i guess if she is then i have a little bit to wait. I just wish i knew who was dropping fry and who will be dropping next. Off, to do a "fry hunt". Good times.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Skype™ to fishboy77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaygunK
Thanks fishlover, you seem to know your facts! Yeah, i guess if she is then i have a little bit to wait. I just wish i knew who was dropping fry and who will be dropping next. Off, to do a "fry hunt". Good times.
I'm like you I want to find out when my platy will give birth
Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I did a bunch of research online and turns out there are a bunch of ways to tell when they are going to give birth look for a square looking belly and she will be by the heater when she's about to give birth.. She also hides. I didn't even want babies at first until one of my prized fish died and I got her. Luckily I was already sick for the next day, and over night she had babies. I was completely in prepared!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlover101
Well I did a bunch of research online and turns out there are a bunch of ways to tell when they are going to give birth look for a square looking belly and she will be by the heater when she's about to give birth.. She also hides. I didn't even want babies at first until one of my prized fish died and I got her. Luckily I was already sick for the next day, and over night she had babies. I was completely in prepared!
Ok what did you search, on google?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I didnt search on google. I asked some local breeders, and tried petshops... but anyway I also asked other people on here like opcima i think or something like that. I search harldy google and went to breeding sites. as I was saying i didnt know what to do at first. its worked so far though!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlover101
I didnt search on google. I asked some local breeders, and tried petshops... but anyway I also asked other people on here like opcima i think or something like that. I search harldy google and went to breeding sites. as I was saying i didnt know what to do at first. its worked so far though!
Ok thank you very much I will ask my local pet shop for help. Fishboy77 

Tags
platy, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com