Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RaygunK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 206
Pregnant Platy?

What do you think? Yes, no? Sooner, later?

Attachment 89707



Attachment 89710
__________________

__________________
RaygunK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
fishlover101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 67
I don't think your platty is pregnant. Although I'm only thirteen and new to breeding, when my platty had her babies, unexpectedly and the night after I got her, I did a whole bunch of research. If a platy is pregnant, not only does she get fat but the gravid spot between the gender fin and belly fins is supposed to get darker. Because a platty is a live bearer, this dark spot is supposed to be the eyes... Plus platties who are pregnant that are sort of see through like yours, you are supposed I make out the eyes. Another affect of pregnancy is white waste and hiding. If you do have a pregnant fish, don't put her in a breeder when she is about I give birth. It only stresses her out more..Did you get any of that?
__________________

__________________
Got to love em!
fishlover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Chronos313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,020
It's possible she could be pregnant but in the very early stages. With her abdomen being so clear you will know for sure when you see little black dots gathering near her anal fin. Those will be the eyes then just a matter of time.

On another note she's a gorgeous mickey mouse
__________________
55 Gallon Cichlid build in the works
Chronos313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RaygunK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 206
Thanks fishlover, you seem to know your facts! Yeah, i guess if she is then i have a little bit to wait. I just wish i knew who was dropping fry and who will be dropping next. Off, to do a "fry hunt". Good times.
__________________
RaygunK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
fishboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: England, warrington
Posts: 163
Send a message via Skype™ to fishboy77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaygunK
Thanks fishlover, you seem to know your facts! Yeah, i guess if she is then i have a little bit to wait. I just wish i knew who was dropping fry and who will be dropping next. Off, to do a "fry hunt". Good times.
I'm like you I want to find out when my platy will give birth
__________________
fishboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
fishlover101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 67
Well I did a bunch of research online and turns out there are a bunch of ways to tell when they are going to give birth look for a square looking belly and she will be by the heater when she's about to give birth.. She also hides. I didn't even want babies at first until one of my prized fish died and I got her. Luckily I was already sick for the next day, and over night she had babies. I was completely in prepared!
__________________
Got to love em!
fishlover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
fishboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: England, warrington
Posts: 163
Send a message via Skype™ to fishboy77
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlover101
Well I did a bunch of research online and turns out there are a bunch of ways to tell when they are going to give birth look for a square looking belly and she will be by the heater when she's about to give birth.. She also hides. I didn't even want babies at first until one of my prized fish died and I got her. Luckily I was already sick for the next day, and over night she had babies. I was completely in prepared!
Ok what did you search, on google?
__________________
fishboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
fishlover101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 67
I didnt search on google. I asked some local breeders, and tried petshops... but anyway I also asked other people on here like opcima i think or something like that. I search harldy google and went to breeding sites. as I was saying i didnt know what to do at first. its worked so far though!
__________________
Got to love em!
fishlover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
fishboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: England, warrington
Posts: 163
Send a message via Skype™ to fishboy77
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlover101
I didnt search on google. I asked some local breeders, and tried petshops... but anyway I also asked other people on here like opcima i think or something like that. I search harldy google and went to breeding sites. as I was saying i didnt know what to do at first. its worked so far though!
Ok thank you very much I will ask my local pet shop for help. Fishboy77 
__________________

__________________
fishboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
platy, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.