Pregnant platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laetitia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.. I'm not 100% sure I have a platy and I am almost certain she is pregnant. She was always fat compared to the males I have but recently she has really gotten fat. Her anus looks like it's a white dot?and I'm not sure if she has a gravid spot but she has little black marks where they should be.. I put her in a separate tank for now in case babies are coming.. The darker image is her today and the other ones are from yesterday

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1412237649061.jpg
    1412237649061.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 1412237934316.jpg
    1412237934316.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 1412237965867.jpg
    1412237965867.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 107
id say shes pregnant and when she gives birth to the fry remove her she will eat them and feed the fry small crushed flakes 2-3 times aday

Hoping she is I keep freaking she is bloated and not pregnant. But I read that the white around her bum can be a sign she is getting close? So I moved her into my old bowl. I have no clue if she is squared or not? Or how long she roughly has left.

well give her some time and if you are worried she is just bloated give her a cooked mashed shellless peas it will help if she is bloated

Thanks I'll get some peas in the mornings. She isn't constipated though as she had pooped a few times since being the bowl.. sorry it's my first time having tropicals in 15years and never had one breed so I'm clueless but wanting to be sure I give her and the babies a good chance

just remember to do a bit of a water change tell she has them then just leave the water as is so you dont hurt the fry on assadent

tell there about a week then you can start doing water changes or that is my expirence any way

btw you can put the fry in when there about a month or biger then tankmates mouth and you think can swim away from filter bassicly about evrey thing i know on platys

Can in leave them with this type of filter?

Attachments

• 1412241787749.jpg
    1412241787749.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 106
I know the local daycare would love them of they survive they b will buy a tank for them so they will have a home once big enough. Though I might keep 2 or 3 depending how this batch goes

Awesome thanks. Hopefully not to much longer till she drops..

can you tell by looking at her roughly how long she would have left?
hoping not too long till she does drop if she does.. i went and got a plant for the fry to hide in..

well it depends probly from 1week-3weeks they hold fry for about 30 days some times longer if streesed

Is this a gravid spot? Trying to get a good picture of it she is in a bowl and now light so it's hard.

Attachments

• 1412380945291.jpg
    1412380945291.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 1412381077986.jpg
    1412381077986.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 1412381148207.jpg
    1412381148207.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 123
She is pregnant not bloated. She is starting to square. You can expect three to five days before she drops.

Emerald76

I cant tell she is squaring? is she different to her pictures from a few days ago i originally posted? i keep thinking im imagining her pregnant but then sometimes i catch a glimpse of little black spots in her tummy other times i dont she is keeping me guessing..

This will be the first time ive had babies from a fish so its a bit exciting, sorry if i am asking questions that may be obvious, just want to be sure I do the right thing for her and the little ones, as id like this batch to survive to donate to the local daycare center

I moved her into a bowl a few days ago as the male was pestering her, i had 1 female and 2 males, but one in particular wouldnt leave her alone so i moved her into my old fish bowl with a little heater and a plant, i used the main tank water in the bowl so not shock her too much....

By the way i didnt know what the genders were when i got them

I cant tell she is squaring? is she different to her pictures from a few days ago i originally posted? i keep thinking im imagining her pregnant but then sometimes i catch a glimpse of little black spots in her tummy other times i dont she is keeping me guessing..

This will be the first time ive had babies from a fish so its a bit exciting, sorry if i am asking questions that may be obvious, just want to be sure I do the right thing for her and the little ones, as id like this batch to survive to donate to the local daycare center

I moved her into a bowl a few days ago as the male was pestering her, i had 1 female and 2 males, but one in particular wouldnt leave her alone so i moved her into my old fish bowl with a little heater and a plant, i used the main tank water in the bowl so not shock her too much....

By the way i didnt know what the genders were when i got them

Don't worry, I understand the feeling! She is definitely pregnant, here is an example of a very squared off guppy. She should reach this stage soon ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412383177.058993.jpg
You need more females lest your only one dies of stress. Keep a couple female fry from the batch if you can't get any at a store, there should be 2-3 females per male. You can identify the ladies because they have a fan shaped anal fin. The bowl should have the water changed frequently- live bearers are messy fish. Platies are harder to see the Gravid spot on than guppies but it is definitely there. Don't worry, she will cough up some fry soon!

Emerald76

How often should i clean her bowl without causing her too much stress to her? normally i do a tank clean about 1/3rd every week

Back
Top Bottom