Pregnant Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Bus

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424627495.993437.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424627527.091299.jpg

Hello! I've had this platy for a little over a month and I think she might be pregnant. The only thing is there's no males in the tank? Is it possible she bred in the pet store? She has been with me for a little over a month how long does it take for fry to be born? Could she be pregnant?Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Platy

Hello JC...

Livebearing fish like your Platy are all raised together, so the females are pregnant as soon as they're physically able. The interesting thing about livebearing fish is the females are able to delay dropping the fry until they feel water conditions are right for fry survival. To encourage the female, you need to plant the surface well. I use Anacharis and Hornwort in all my Platy tanks. These plants are natural water filters and a nutritious food supplement.

Keep the tank water free of dissolved wastes by removing and replacing at least half the tank water weekly, more often is better. Make the new water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank and add a bit of standard aquarium salt to the new, treated tap water. A heaping teaspoon for every 5 gallons of new water is enough.

If your Platy is ready, the flush of warm, pure water with a bit of salt will encourage her. I change out a lot of water every week in my tanks and have new fry weekly.

B

I do 10% water changes weekly and I have 3 live plants in the tank and 9 fake plant with a bridge and a cave. The water stays at 72°. I know my female guppy is about to release her fry very soon. Thanks for the advice

She seems to have a gravid spot and is getting quite large I would say she is pregnant.

Thanks Noah!!!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425068067.942510.jpg

Is this platy pregnant?? I just got it last night and it looks like it could be?

That looks like a male balloon belly Molly, so it's definitely not pregnant.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

yea shes pregnant but she has a little while to go platys can get really big bellys

Can you get another pic, especially around the anal area. It looks like a male balloon belly though.

Back
Top Bottom