Pregnant Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noahtk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424642432.032190.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424642453.015183.jpg

Is she pregnant? If so any tips? What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please stay on topic.

As for the platy, yes she is full of babies. The breeding traps can be iffy because they tend to stress the fish out and some won't drop their babies in one. It is up to you if you want to risk it though. If she doesn't drop her fry right away, just make sure not to leave her in there for longer than a couple days. Predicting when the babies will drop can be tough. Any other questions?

I have my female guppy in a trap and she has about a week till dropping. Should I take her out? I don't want to risk the lives of the fry

Please stay on topic.

As for the platy, yes she is full of babies. The breeding traps can be iffy because they tend to stress the fish out and some won't drop their babies in one. It is up to you if you want to risk it though. If she doesn't drop her fry right away, just make sure not to leave her in there for longer than a couple days. Predicting when the babies will drop can be tough. Any other questions?

Thank you for not being rude about it.
Do you have any tips? Like what is the best food for the fry, or what to do when they are first born?

I feed my platy fry crushed flakes. The last bit of a container often is too small to bother feeding your other fish. I save this stuff for my fry.
Just give her time. They can hold for ages and will only release when they're ready.

Can you make her give birth faster?

You can use Hikari First Bites. Word of caution, tiny amounts several times a day. Watch your water parameters, flakes can cause ammonia spike if you aren't careful. (any uneaten food can for that matter). First Bites is very tiny and just a little on the end of a flat head tooth pick is enough. Not kidding, it is very surprising!

You can use Hikari First Bites. Word of caution, tiny amounts several times a day. Watch your water parameters, flakes can cause ammonia spike if you aren't careful. (any uneaten food can for that matter). First Bites is very tiny and just a little on the end of a flat head tooth pick is enough. Not kidding, it is very surprising!

Thanks I already have some I'll do that.

I have my female guppy in a trap and she has about a week till dropping. Should I take her out? I don't want to risk the lives of the fry

you should take her out for a few days and put her back in a few days before 1-3 depending on the size of the trap

Back
Top Bottom