Pregnant platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I do believe that my platy is pregnant. Not particularly supprised as I know they breed quite prolifically. However, this is the first platy that I've had. She has gotten quite large, and I can see little dots inside of her. How long should I expect before she drops the fry? I am going to be gone for a few days around christmas. If she has them while I'm gone what are the chances that I'll have any left when I get back? I have 3 neon tetras, 2 lemon tetras, and 2 rosy barbs, as well as two other platy in the tank (29 gal). There is quite a few plants (fake) in the tank as well as some rock "caves". I could put some nylon over the filter intake to help prevent them from getting sucked up. I am going to have an automatic feeder on while I am gone. Will the fry be able to eat flakes? Thanks for the help in advance!

Livebearers can store sperm up to 4 months and they drop their fry every 28-30 days without being near a male.

Lately, mine will hover at the top of the tank towards the back to give birth. They will try to find a quiet place to drop their fry and it could take up to 2 days for them to drop all of them, depending on how old she is.

The chances of any surviving are slim, but it certainly could happen. You might get at least 1 or 2 survivors. But if you miss them this time, you will get them next month. Good luck! :D

Yeah, tyr crushing up flakes to put into your auto feeder, big flakes are too big for the frys mouths, the other fish will eat crushed flakes too.

Dan :)

Back
Top Bottom