Pregnant platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 6 mickey mouse plates in my 40g along with other fish for about 5 months now. I should've expected this sooner but I think one of the platies are pregnant. She has a very large stomach. I know this isn't overfeeding because the other platies do not have this problem and they all eat the same amount. In fact this particular large belly platy was always last to get to the surface to eat. Anyways I have now idea whether to just let nature happen or to find a separate tank for they fry.
WARNING:I am new at fishkeeping as my longest owned fish has been here for 8 months.
Most likely I will let whatever happen because I'm not prepared for this. Any ideas or suggestions on what to do?

If you don't want to set up a breeding tank (which should be cycled with a sponge filter) just let nature take it's course. If you have bigger fish they will eat the fry. If not you could have a few more platys in your tank!

Back
Top Bottom