Pregnant Platy behavior.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newportjon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got a pregnant female platy. She's showing signs that she might be getting ready to deliver the fry. She's attempting to isolate herself to quiet spots in the tank and, on occasion, chasing other fish away.

However, there is a male platy (different species) that is constantly chasing her around the tank. Also, a female balloon molly that will bully her around too. It seems like every attempt she makes to hide is ruined by one of those two fish.

Now, I've got a net breeder in the tank already with 1 platy fry that is about a week old. Should I move her into the net breeder now or will this stress her out too much?

In the tank, I've got several fake and live plants. Java moss on driftwood and a few rocks that will allow the fry to hide form the other fish.

What should I do?

Thank you in advance,
Jon

With livebearers once the female is pregnant its not too much work to prepare for the frys. When she is really ripe you can see little black eye balls in the rear end section of her tummy. Usually when you are able to see that she will be more than likely to deliver.
If there is still a fry in the breeder net I don't recommend you placing her in there, she will eat the fry in there. Its best if you remove all the other fish out of that tank if there aren;t too many of them, or remove the pregant female into another tank. If you plan on using a breeder net make sure you are using the ones with the mini holes on the sides n bottom so the frys will be able to swim out, because if you use one of those green mesh fry nets, the will eat them up once she delivers them.
I have bred varies livebearers for a few years a while back so if you have any more questions you think I may be able to help with, please feel free to send me an email at lo_x@hotmail.com.
good luck.
o, n crank up the temperate to abotu 80- 82 degre F, it'll help induce her to give birth faster.

Back
Top Bottom