Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pregnant Platy Help

I have had a pair of platies for a long time. More recent my Male has been stressing her out a ton. I've gotten two more females for him to harass instead of her. She is visibly less stressed so I'm happy with that. She has grown in size considerably over the past three weeks or so. I am wondering when I should put her into a breeder box because she looks like she is already about to pop. I have a lot of plants for fry ti hide in so I'm not sure if it would be less stress for her to leave her in the tank rather than a breeder box. She has not gotten boxy yet. I will upload a picture for referencce.

Any and all advice is appreciated!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190310_225951.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	312323Click image for larger version

Name:	1552327478060.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	312324

Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been doing a lot of research on this for my molly. From what I've read, it is a lot less stressful for the fish to just be left in the tank. If you have another tank for the dry you can move them there. Either that or maybe keep the fry in the breeder box until they are big enough that they won't be eaten.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

From what I know you have to wait as long as possible to get the mom in the box and preferably you should let her give birth in the tank and then put the babies in a breeder box unless you think they are good, protection wise, from the other fish in the regular. If you put them in the box they eat alge unless you have food specifically for them from the pet store or you can very finely crush up the flake food you have. This knowledge is from reading other forums and I would wait for more info from a more experienced user but anyway this is what I got

Tags
platy, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com