pregnant platy needing help with setup of new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I have a Sunburst wag that I believe to be pregnant. I think she is close to giving birth and I have a 5 gallon tank I can move her to by herself. I have a breeding cage also. My question is if she is pregnant and close. If so how close and what is the best way to set up this tank I have plants rock new aquatech 5-15 power filter. If I take five gallons from my 29 will it be like a instant cycle. Pics provided of empty tank and platy. Please help any Randall advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Shon

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130312_151719.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130312_151719.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 114
  • ForumRunner_20130312_151801.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130312_151801.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20130312_152008.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130312_152008.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20130312_152116.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130312_152116.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 104
I have the same fish, i think mines pregnant as well. Only time will tell

Hello, I have a Sunburst wag that I believe to be pregnant. I think she is close to giving birth and I have a 5 gallon tank I can move her to by herself. I have a breeding cage also. My question is if she is pregnant and close. If so how close and what is the best way to set up this tank I have plants rock new aquatech 5-15 power filter. If I take five gallons from my 29 will it be like a instant cycle. Pics provided of empty tank and platy. Please help any Randall advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Shon
Hey Shon. You have a few options. You could move her to the 5g. You won't instantly cycle a tank with water, if fact there is very little BB in water. It is all on the hard surfaces, rocks, glass, decor, substrate, filter/media. If you could take some media from the 29 and put it in the new filter, some pads or rings. Even if you have gravel in your 29, if you put some in a mesh bag, you could put this in the new filter close or beside the new media to transfer some BB to the new media.
You could leave her where she is and use the trap. When you say breeding cage, is there a separate compartment for the fry at the bottom. If so, you could use this. This is probably what i would go with first. You could still set-up the 5 and when the fry are a week or so, put them into it. You'd still have to transfer some BB but because the fry produce so little the amount needed for now would be small. The BB will grow as the fry grow and produce more bio-load(waste). This is what i done very recently for my guppy fry. I use a 15g tank and have only lost 1 fry out of 50+ in the last 3 weeks.
A good idea is to get a cory cat for the fry tank. I have one in mine and he/she looks after any food the fry don't eat.
If you going to move the mother to the 5g before birth, be very careful. She could get very stressed and abort the birth. Make sure you test the new tank regularly, the fry will be super sensitive to any changes in the water, temp, quality....
She looks very pregnant by the way!!!. It's very hard to guess the time left by pics but she's not square yet so i would say at least a week..The signs i look for apart from squaring or boxed is, hanging around the bottom or heater/filter not moving, not really eating(she might take a flake and spit it out), her anal passage becomes pointed, like bulging out....
I hope this helps..... Ian

Ian thank you for the advice I was running two aqueon filters one my 29. One was the aqueon quietflow 30 the other was the quietflow 10. I moved the quietflow 10 to my 5gal and replaced it with a fluval aquaclear 30. I am going to test all my tanks tomorrow. Yes the breeding cage is one of them 2 way ones with the single "v" slot. I also have a 3 way as I also have a blue Mickey mouse that is not far behind. Will I be able to see black dots when she's bout ready. I seen some pics on Google and in forms saying they was they eyes. But can you use that rule for every platy/guppy. How old before the fry reproduce and is it very difficult sexing the fry? Thank you for the advice its extremely helpful :)
Shon

Ian thank you for the advice I was running two aqueon filters one my 29. One was the aqueon quietflow 30 the other was the quietflow 10. I moved the quietflow 10 to my 5gal and replaced it with a fluval aquaclear 30. I am going to test all my tanks tomorrow. Yes the breeding cage is one of them 2 way ones with the single "v" slot. I also have a 3 way as I also have a blue Mickey mouse that is not far behind. Will I be able to see black dots when she's bout ready. I seen some pics on Google and in forms saying they was they eyes. But can you use that rule for every platy/guppy. How old before the fry reproduce and is it very difficult sexing the fry? Thank you for the advice its extremely helpful :)
Shon
Hey Shon, those traps will do the job. I use a trap that has an open grill at the bottom. When i want to use it to keep fry in, it came with a plastic plate that cover the grill. It might be a bit late for you this time but you could look into one of these. You could just attach it in the 5g and when she has the fry, they swim out of the box and free into the tank. Those other traps will do fine though, just something to think about...
I know people say they see eyes in their fish and i don't doubt them but i have never seen it myself from my platies, mollies or guppies. Maybe my eyesight is not as good as other peoples!!!.
I believe they can reproduce at about 4mths, i can't say for certain though. I don't have them that long!!!. Imo it's not really worth trying to sex them until about 3mths because the males gonopoduim(sex organ) doesn't develop until then....

Here is the 5.5 gallon I set up in my daughters room to move my platies into to give birth. Heater will be here Saturday.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130318_181720.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130318_181720.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 76
Here is the 5.5 gallon I set up in my daughters room to move my platies into to give birth. Heater will be here Saturday.
Yeah that'll do the job nicely. Try and get one of those open bottom trap and most of the fry will survive. My guppy gave birth to 40 fry 4hrs ago, this is them and their home....

Attachments

• DSCF7440~1.jpg
    DSCF7440~1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF7423~1.jpg
    DSCF7423~1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF7444~1.jpg
    DSCF7444~1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF7420~1.jpg
    DSCF7420~1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 73
I have one similar to that and that is an amazing tank!!! :)
Thanks Shon. I'm not happy with it, i plan on ripping out(not literally!!)the fake plants and putting some easy maintenance real plants in. My Nitrates are pretty high(40ppm from the tap) and i need to sort them out....

I would like to add live plants to my tanks but as far as I know I don't have proper lighting though so I'm in sure as of now being on a tight budget.

I would like to add live plants to my tanks but as far as I know I don't have proper lighting though so I'm in sure as of now being on a tight budget.
You could go for low light plants. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to plants, but start a thread and give a description of your tank, substrate and lights(wattage) and loads of people will help you out. It'll give you some ideas for the future, when/if your budget allows it....

Ok great advice will do. And I've heard Java fern I think is one I could be wrong though. Ill definitely look into it

Ok great advice will do. And I've heard Java fern I think is one I could be wrong though. Ill definitely look into it
I recently spoke to Rivercats(plant Queen!!) and she suggested these:
"See if you can find either water sprite or wisteria. Both grow like weeds and suck up excess nutrients and don't need alot of light."
Java fern and/or Java moss is also very easy to grow in low light and i believe none of these need Co2 or liquid ferts.
These would be regarded as basic plants or starter plants, so i'd imagine there pretty cheap......

Ok ill look into them and rivercats has helped me with other issues and giving me great advice :)

Yes she gave me advice on fixing my levels in my 29. I so thankful for this form.

My light is a zoomed labs 15W2000H 120v came with the tank. I can use a 25w 60hz maxx in this one.

Back
Top Bottom