Pregnant Platy or Nah??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangelover77

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Red Wag Platy and a Sunburst Platy and I was wondering if they were pregnant or what.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395194851.738158.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395194915.293046.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395194977.138648.jpg

They look like they could be prego. But it is kinda hard to tell. I have platies and I am waiting for them to breed;) But what you can do, is
1) get a little breeder box and float it in your tank till she gives birth and catch the fry and put them in.
2) place female in breeder box and observe her.
3) Scoop fry into a separate container with a mini filter so the parents won't try to eat them:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm really nervous. Should I wait a while before I put the moms in the breeder box?

Its hard to tell. But if you want for safety precautions, you can put the mommys in the breeder box and watch them

I went to my local pet store and they were out of breeder boxes so I bought a tank divider to put my pregnant fishys in one side. Oh and I bought another Platy today and it is pregnant as well. I was thinking put the 3 pregnant platys on one side and my Molly and my two neon tetras on the other side then once they drop I can put the fry in a one gallon which is currently cycling?? Does that sound good?

I'm so scared I'm not going to be home when they have the babies and they are going to get eaten. I wanted to get a breeder box so bad. Stupid Petsmart.

YOur Platys

I have a Red Wag Platy and a Sunburst Platy and I was wondering if they were pregnant or what.View attachment 228919View attachment 228920View attachment 228921

Hello oran...

Provided you got them at the local pet store, they are pregnant. Now, that we've determined this, you need to prepare the tank for the females and their fry. You start by dropping in as many stems of Hornwort, Anachris or Pennywort into the tank as possible. These are fast growers and will provide water filtration as well as hiding places for the females and the fry.

Keep the water extremely pure with large, weekly water changes. Half the tank's volume is about right and make sure the new, treated tap water is around 80 degrees, just a bit warmer than what's already in the tank.

Add a rounded teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of the new water. Livebearing fish do best with just a little. The other fish and the plants will be fine with it.

Feed a good diet of mostly frozen food like brine shrimp, beef heart, krill and plankton. A little freeze dried tubifex worms is a good addition. Feed a bit of minced garlic too. This diet is high vitamin and the most nutritious for the fish.

The females will drop the fry in less than 30 days.

B

Can I not just separate the pregnant platys from the tetras and my molly with a divider, then after the fry are born take the fry out and put them in a smaller tank until they are large enough.

You could do that, my guppies had more fry last night, and I just scooped them out today.

Then when I got to my parents (I have 5 tanks at their place), I found out I have a new mystery snail clutch, a new baby balloon molly fry, and my corydoras had laid eggs on my glass. So I scooped up the eggs and have them in a container with an air stone and methylene blue

I'm so jelly, honestly! I couldn't stand being away from my tanks though! They are my addiction! Lol. I'm only 18 and I HAD to take all my tanks with me when I moved out last month! No one would help me so my 5 month pregnant self carried all my tanks out myself! Lol. I love my fishys!! Would you mind looking at my two new thread please?

Back
Top Bottom