Pregnant Platy.. when will she drop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emma123

Aquarium Advice Regular
My platty has been pregnant for rougly 5 weeks perhaps more.. I wanted to know when she might give birth and when would be the best time to put her into my breeding trap.. The males follow her everywhere so I would prefer it if she was seperated before giving birth.. any ideas?

Attachments

• 541965_10151213834242849_1434174798_n.jpg
    541965_10151213834242849_1434174798_n.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 75
are you sure the platy is pregnant for 5 weeks, typically livebearer's pregnancy last about 28 days. if i were you, i would put her in the box right now she can drop any days now.

It could be less but I'm sure she has been pregnant for at least 4 weeks.. I had read that their gestation was between 4 to 6 weeks.. I will put her in the box for a day or two and see if she relaxes enough to give birth without the males chasing her.. thanks for your input :)

It could be less but I'm sure she has been pregnant for at least 4 weeks.. I had read that their gestation was between 4 to 6 weeks.. I will put her in the box for a day or two and see if she relaxes enough to give birth without the males chasing her.. thanks for your input :)
You probably have fry by now, but if she's still in the box try keeping the light off and any airstones off as much as possible. This will keep stress to a minimum. Also, put some tights over your filter, if you release the fry back into the tank...

Back
Top Bottom