Pregnant Platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlynnb2006

Aquarium Advice Newbie
photos: fish - a photoset on Flickr

I have 3 Sunstet Coral dwarf platys. They are all very pregnant and have been so for quite some time. I got them mid januray so like 2 months ago. 3 females, no males. 10 gallon tank, water quality is fine. Temp about 78-79 degrees( just raised it a bit because I've heard it speeds up the pregnancy). Tank mates, 3 zebra danios, a golden algea eater, 2 breeders 1 with 1 platy baby and 2 zebra babies, the other with 4 newborn zebras. Another tank is on it's way for the babies. Lots of hiding places. One of them already had one batch but I'm not sure which. One is small but has distinct gravid spot. Next smallest one is getting boxy and has indistinct gravid spot. Last is extremely large and boxy and can't really determine a gravid spot.Any ideas at all why they're not giving birth, which one will give birth first, and when? Any Help is welcome

Hi welcome to AA! They look to be close to giving birth. One thing that might be causing them to hold onto the fry is that there aren't many hiding spots in the tank. Try adding some live plants or even silk plants for the fry to hide in. Livebearer's can hold onto their fry for some time. They need to feel secure to give birth. I had some mollies that held onto their fry for almost 3 months. Both of them died I believe as a result of this. I had very little hiding spots. Once I added more places to hide I never had a problem again. I got some guppy grass from a friend and was overrun with molly fry. I know you have platies but they are livebearer's like mollies.

Ok, thanks. I added some more plants and things including some baby grass into the tank. Hopefully this will help. I've become rather attached them.

It's been a couple of weeks. I added a bunch more plants, still no babies. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom