Pregnant platy's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emma123

Aquarium Advice Regular
My platy's have been pregnant for well over a month and have still not given birth.. what's going on?

I do have 3 males to 2 females at the moment because some of my females died.. they do follow them a bit but more fight amongst themselves.. I have tried them both in a planted breeding trap where they seemed perfectly relaxed but they didn't give birth.. all my pH and nitrate levels etc are perfect.. Help!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130116_165709.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_165709.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20130116_165731.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_165731.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20130116_165748.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_165748.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 69
  • ForumRunner_20130116_165806.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_165806.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 74
My platy's have been pregnant for well over a month and have still not given birth.. what's going on?

I do have 3 males to 2 females at the moment because some of my females died.. they do follow them a bit but more fight amongst themselves.. I have tried them both in a planted breeding trap where they seemed perfectly relaxed but they didn't give birth.. all my pH and nitrate levels etc are perfect.. Help!
That's a tricky one..The only things i can think of is maybe they had them already and this is the next batch..I know this seems unlikely because you would have noticed they're bellies being smaller...Another theory could be that they may feel slightly stressed(although not visible to you) and they have been known to hold off the birth..Sorry if that's not much help, but it's all i can think of..Remember they could be pregnant for 1-2wks before you notice, the first theory could be possible....Ian

Also to add on to what Ian stated,
Females also have the ability to abort their fry when under stress. Which could be what is happening due to the fact that currently there are more males than females in the tank. Males are well known to stress the females out sometimes even to the point of death.

+1 to butterfly on the stress thing.

I know that when my platys were preggo I would move them to a birthing tank which I had set up. Platys will eat their own fry. Mine liked to drop at 2am or earlier all the time. Drove me nuts.

You can try increasing the temp a degree or two sometimes that will jump start it. As for the male:female ratio I always did a 1:3 ratio. If you have a secondary tank I would move the males until afterwards and after you add more females.

Thanks everyone for your replies.. I don't have a second tank at the moment but I am going to get some more females soon so hopefully that will help :)

Finally! My white mickey mouse platy is giving birth and there are 10 or more at the moment :D

How long does it usually take for her to give birth to them all she's been at it for about 3 and a half hours now.. and how do you know when she's done?

How long does it usually take for her to give birth to them all she's been at it for about 3 and a half hours now.. and how do you know when she's done?
I could be a few hours or the whole day. i suppose it like any animal or human for that matter!!. I know it's hard but i would leave her alone and leave the light/airstone off. It'll keep the stress low, even if you have to cover the tank with a towel...I know that might sound extreme but you spent all this time waiting, and remember she still could have some still births if she gets stressed. Mine did...

I kept the lights off the whole time she was giving birth and took her out a few mins ago as she was starting to act normal again and picking around for food.. plus she was popping and not birthing lol.. I now have 30 or more little fry :)

I kept the lights off the whole time she was giving birth and took her out a few mins ago as she was starting to act normal again and picking around for food.. plus she was popping and not birthing lol.. I now have 30 or more little fry :)
Good news, Hikari First Bites is a good fry food...Best of luck with them...Ian

It's awesome to get your first batch of fry lol. I actually purchased a 10 gallon tank from Walmart with everything. Lights, filter for just like $30. Thy will grow faster, the bigger tank you put em in. Gl..

I have a 29 gallon with 9 Barbs. I plan on adding some of these fish but not sure on their comparability. Feedback?

I wouldn't know about how they are with barbs mine are in with peppered corys

Back
Top Bottom