Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pregnant platy's

My platy's have been pregnant for well over a month and have still not given birth.. what's going on?

I do have 3 males to 2 females at the moment because some of my females died.. they do follow them a bit but more fight amongst themselves.. I have tried them both in a planted breeding trap where they seemed perfectly relaxed but they didn't give birth.. all my pH and nitrate levels etc are perfect.. Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130116_165709.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	144710   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130116_165731.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	144711  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130116_165748.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	144712   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130116_165806.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	144713  

Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
My platy's have been pregnant for well over a month and have still not given birth.. what's going on?

I do have 3 males to 2 females at the moment because some of my females died.. they do follow them a bit but more fight amongst themselves.. I have tried them both in a planted breeding trap where they seemed perfectly relaxed but they didn't give birth.. all my pH and nitrate levels etc are perfect.. Help!
That's a tricky one..The only things i can think of is maybe they had them already and this is the next batch..I know this seems unlikely because you would have noticed they're bellies being smaller...Another theory could be that they may feel slightly stressed(although not visible to you) and they have been known to hold off the birth..Sorry if that's not much help, but it's all i can think of..Remember they could be pregnant for 1-2wks before you notice, the first theory could be possible....Ian

Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also to add on to what Ian stated,
Females also have the ability to abort their fry when under stress. Which could be what is happening due to the fact that currently there are more males than females in the tank. Males are well known to stress the females out sometimes even to the point of death.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to butterfly on the stress thing.

I know that when my platys were preggo I would move them to a birthing tank which I had set up. Platys will eat their own fry. Mine liked to drop at 2am or earlier all the time. Drove me nuts.

You can try increasing the temp a degree or two sometimes that will jump start it. As for the male:female ratio I always did a 1:3 ratio. If you have a secondary tank I would move the males until afterwards and after you add more females.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks everyone for your replies.. I don't have a second tank at the moment but I am going to get some more females soon so hopefully that will help
Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Finally! My white mickey mouse platy is giving birth and there are 10 or more at the moment
Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Finally! My white mickey mouse platy is giving birth and there are 10 or more at the moment
Congrats...Now the fun starts!!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Congrats...Now the fun starts!!!!!
Woo! Lol cant wait!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

How long does it usually take for her to give birth to them all she's been at it for about 3 and a half hours now.. and how do you know when she's done?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How long does it usually take for her to give birth to them all she's been at it for about 3 and a half hours now.. and how do you know when she's done?
I could be a few hours or the whole day. i suppose it like any animal or human for that matter!!. I know it's hard but i would leave her alone and leave the light/airstone off. It'll keep the stress low, even if you have to cover the tank with a towel...I know that might sound extreme but you spent all this time waiting, and remember she still could have some still births if she gets stressed. Mine did...

Tags
platy, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com