Pregnant swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El_diablo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a pregnant swordtail, and tonight she's swimming quite franticly nose down towards the substrate! Is this normal or does anybody know wt this means?

Are you sure she's prego? That sounds more like swim bladder, but I'm not a breeding expert.

I'm 95% sure she's preggers she's huge and she's got quite a dark stomach area, she had fry around 6 weeks ago as well and I know swordtails can reproduce from the same sperm she was initially pregnant with. Can it still b swim bladder if she's pregnant if so how can I treat her?

El_diablo said:
I'm 95% sure she's preggers she's huge and she's got quite a dark stomach area, she had fry around 6 weeks ago as well and I know swordtails can reproduce from the same sperm she was initially pregnant with. Can it still b swim bladder if she's pregnant if so how can I treat her?

Do you have a pic of her?

Il try n get 1 now sorry I'm not the best photographer, she seems to of calmed a little but it's still concerning me

Attachments

• image-2615818479.jpg
    image-2615818479.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 115
I try to mix it up today she had frozen blood worms, 2days ago she had cucumber, 2 days befor that she had tropical fish flakes befor that frozen daphnia, I tend to mix up quite a bit like that they often nibble on algea pellets I drop in for my pleco as well

It's called aquarian tropical flake food, i think by a company called waltham, not sure if its a uk based company or not. yeh I tend to use frozen as my lfs is pretty close by and they hav a huge chest top freezer full of frozen food

Here's a pic of her swimming down, so do u still think it could b swim bladder?

Attachments

• image-1537114615.jpg
    image-1537114615.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 113
It's either swim bladder or she's about to give birth. I really need someone else's opinion on this. How long has she been presumed prego?

Here's a pic of her swimming down, so do u still think it could b swim bladder?

I have had two batches of fry and the lady did swim around erratically but that was with the male hot on her trail...I guess looking for a snack.

You might look closely at the gravel and may see tiny grey ones swimming in the depressions.

Mine did that before she gave birth. It's just a sign of stress.

Ah right, well I think she's had the fry she seems a lot slimmer and not too stressed out anymore, I'm yet to see any fry although iv only ever seen 1 fry in 2 years of keeping swordtails my other fishes jus start to lick there lips at the thought of their next meal :-S thanks for the help tho guys

Back
Top Bottom