Pregnant swordtail help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petkeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all I was wonting to know how long until my swordtail gives birth and If my tank has anuf plants to save the fry or should I put it in a breeding trap.

image-440830678.jpg

My fish tank

image-2101924451.jpg

My pregnant swordtail is the bottom one

Your tank looks like it has enough plants, but if your looking for more , java moss and anacharis are perfect fry hiders. Your swordtail momma looks about 2 weeks away from birth, so no need for a breeders trap now.

hi . best thing if you want to keep the fry is put the pregnant one in a hatchery then after its given birth remove the mother and wait few months until there big enough not to get eaten ..

The breeding boxes can stunt the fry growth, so it will take a lot longer for them to grow. What i find works best is separating them into a 10 gallon so they have no predators and all the food then need to grow.

yea i agree totally . i usually put the pregnant one in a breeding trap until she gives birtyh tyhen move the fry into there own tank to grow them on .. :) can anyone give me info on jaguar cichlid breeding . i have a pair and they spawned once and ate the eggs that was about 3 weeks ago . any info would be great as in breeding params and other info

Back
Top Bottom