Pregnant Synodontis petricola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparky2335r

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I'm pretty sure my petricola cat is pregnant, bloated belly, no sickness issues in the past. I've got a few questions, from what I read they are egg layers and I know those will get eaten up by the other fish in my tank if I don't quarantine her somehow.

Question 1) Breeder box? Type recommendation? Will the female eat her own eggs? If so I'm assuming I need something with some sort of grate for the eggs to fall into? I only have the one tank so I can't set up something seperate.

Question 2) Tank conditions for optimal results? My numbers are all pretty normal, my tank is over filtered for the size and stocking, but wondering about tank temp, other factors?

Question 3) If she does lay eggs and they hatch, what do I feed the fry?

I'm an amateur when it comes to this, and not a hardcore tank enthusiast in general, so if I'm asking stupid questions, I apologize in advance.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated!

Hi, breeder nets are not my favorite for keeping a fish in, maybe babies for awhile, but a tank for the babies would be good.

Looks like a male is need for fertilization before the eggs are cast. Everything for the fertilization and eggs happens at the same time. So if you only have a female you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

There is some good useful info here.
Synodontis petricola (Dwarf Lake Synodontis, False Cuckoo Synodontis) — Seriously Fish

Back
Top Bottom