pregnant tiger barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nedrog2010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys i have 5 tiger barbs, 3 of which are females and 2 males. Both females have an abnormally large stomach and i was wondering if they are bearing eggs? I feed them every two days and the diet consists of flake food, pellets, and frozen brine so i dont think overfeeding is the problem? Any suggestions? And if i need some better pictures let me know.barb1.JPGbarb2.JPG

They look like it to me, but you can always feed de-shelled peas just to make sure they aren't bloated. Just in case, but they definitely look preggers to me lol

ok ill try the de-shelled peas. i was also thinking about fasting them for a few days to see if their stomachs changed size. But if they are going to have babies, i dont know where to even begin to care for them? what should i do? and what kind of area would the eggs be laid? what do they look like? sorry i dont know much about that.

Nedrog2010 said:
ok ill try the de-shelled peas. i was also thinking about fasting them for a few days to see if their stomachs changed size. But if they are going to have babies, i dont know where to even begin to care for them? what should i do? and what kind of area would the eggs be laid? what do they look like? sorry i dont know much about that.

Sorry, I forgot to mention to boil the peas until they become soft. I've microwaved them before though. I honestly don't have any experience breeding fish, at least not yet lol hopefully someone else can chime in there.

Breeding Tiger barbs

Just to be clear, your tiger barbs are not "pregnant" but are filled with unfertilized eggs. The eggs won't be fertilized until she breeds with a male. The eggs are fertilized outside the body.
That being said, if you have them in a community tank, the eggs will most likely be eaten if you are lucky enough to get them to spawn. Purposeful spawning of tiger barbs needs to be done in a separate tank with the fish by themselves.
If you would like a more thorough explaination of breeding them, you can PM me. If you do not have the extra tanks, I wouldn't be concerned about it. The fish can hold the eggs without breeding so it's not an issue.
Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom