Pregnant zebra danio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentamalia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this danio pregnant? I have 3 in a 10gal tank and 2 are skinny but one is fat lol I was just curious. I tried to get pix to compare but they are quick! Is she just full of eggs or what's going on?!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427734994.225667.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427735016.856453.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427735038.554948.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this danio pregnant? I have 3 in a 10gal tank and 2 are skinny but one is fat lol I was just curious. I tried to get pix to compare but they are quick! Is she just full of eggs or what's going on?!View attachment 268789View attachment 268790View attachment 268791

To help answer your question, I refer you to the following thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/is-my-fish-pregnant-a-newbie-must-read-311417.html

(y)

I realize it's an egg layer. I asked if it was full of eggs or what? That thread helps me 0%. I've never had fish lay eggs before and I was curious.

yeah, she appears to be full of eggs. keep an eye on her, especially early early in the morning. when the first light of the day hits the tank, you will often see her laying eggs. the eggs will mostly get eaten, but in that substrate, some will fall in between the gravel. you may even see developing fry below the substrate at the edge of the tank.

if you do not see her belly shrink, she may be egg bound.

yeah, she appears to be full of eggs. keep an eye on her, especially early early in the morning. when the first light of the day hits the tank, you will often see her laying eggs. the eggs will mostly get eaten, but in that substrate, some will fall in between the gravel. you may even see developing fry below the substrate at the edge of the tank.

if you do not see her belly shrink, she may be egg bound.

What's egg bound? I have no idea of anything about fish laying eggs it's never happened before so I'm completely lost!

i dont really think she is egg bound, but it means she is loaded with eggs and for some reason cannot lay them. i had it happen with a zebra danio in the past. her belly will get very very round. if that happens, she is egg bound.

again, i dont think your fish is egg bound and she will likely lay her eggs soon, very likely early in the morning right around sunrise.

Ok should I put something over my filter or will they be ok?

more than likely, they will all get eaten. danios love to eat their own eggs. you may see some developing eggs below the substrate, but youre not likely to have any survivors, unless there are plenty of hiding places.

oh and you may want to consider a 20 gallon long at least...10 gallons are pretty small for such an active fish. good luck

Oh ok I got a breeder net for my platies would it help it I got one for them a well just for the eggs to be in it is there a way I can tell just before she has the eggs I can put her and a male in another tank? I have a 5 gal set up already it's completely empty no rocks or anything

i dont think you really have the setup to breed them successfully.

it would likely require a second tank, with a large piece of mesh that covers the entire footprint of the tank, raised a few inches off the bottom. then when they lay their eggs, they fall through the mesh. then you remove the adults and let the fry develop.

Your set up is not good for breeding egg layers.
Just let nature take its course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most people will tell you that 10 gallons is too small for danios. they need a long tank because theyre so active. if you pick up a larger tank, you could turn your 10 gallon into a breeder tank. i agree, i would just let nature take its course, but...

a good breeder setup for danios would look something like this:

Attachments

• danios.jpg
    danios.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 89
I saw that video on YouTube I think I'll go get a big tank this weekend. Is 20gal ok? It's just the 3 fish

i think a 20 gallon long would be ok, but that is the minimum...if you do that, add a few extra danios to the school. 40 gallon long would be a fantastic tank for a large school of danios and you would have lots of options.

Is this danio pregnant? I have 3 in a 10gal tank and 2 are skinny but one is fat lol I was just curious. I tried to get pix to compare but they are quick! Is she just full of eggs or what's going on?!View attachment 268789View attachment 268790View attachment 268791

I realize it's an egg layer. I asked if it was full of eggs or what? That thread helps me 0%. I've never had fish lay eggs before and I was curious.

I'm sorry you didn't find the thread I sent helpful. Th first few words in your original post asked if she was pregnant. The thread I led you to gives a pretty full list of the fish that can be pregnant versus those that cannot be as well as what to do or what you need to do with the non pregnant egglayers. Hopefully the other posts here have helped you. (y)

Back
Top Bottom